Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/17 00:23:59 UTC

Contribution Service Repository - was, Fwd: Returning complex types from a service

So far, most if not all scenarios used today are not using the
Contribution Repository (except for some test cases), so I can't
really say we have it fully working supporting all  corner cases and
scenarios, that's why I said it's a "partial support for contribution
repository". I also have a initial support for a Contribution
Installer in my sandbox [1], if that's also interesting for your
scenarios.

It would be great if you could take a quick look at the Contribution
Service Repository, and it would be great if we could enhance that to
support your scenarios as well.

Some more info is available at the Contribution/Deployment page at the
wiki page [2] and you can also find some simple usage scenarios in
Contribution test case[3].

If you have specific requirements or questions, please feel free to ask.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/lresende/sca/modules/contribution-installer/
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Deployment
[3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/itest/contribution/src/test/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/test/contribution/ContributionServiceTestCase.java

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/16/07, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks, i shall take a look at those links, actually I think I did already
> just copy some of the code from that testcase you mention.
>
> Maybe you could take a look at the HotUpdatableSCADomain [1], particularly
> the initContributions method? All its really doing is starting a domain
> using multiple contributions, it only copies them to a temp location so
> the
> temp jars can be used in the classpath to avoid locking the original
> contribution jars. If the ContributionService can copy the contributions
> its own repository and use that then that would fix this, although the
> import/export work and a separate classloader per contribution are
> probably
> required as well. One thing i couldn't see was how to get the
> sca-deployables.xml or META-INF/deployables composites picked up by the
> ContributionService if you've any hints about that?
>
>    ...ant
>
> [1]
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/modules/host-embedded/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/host/embedded/impl/HotUpdatableSCADomain.java
>

> On 7/16/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So far, most if not all scenarios used today are not using the
> > Contribution Repository (except for some test cases), so I can't
> > really say we have it fully working supporting all  corner cases and
> > scenarios, that's why I said it's a "partial support for contribution
> > repository". I also have a initial support for a Contribution
> > Installer in my sandbox [1], if that's also interesting for your
> > scenarios.
> >
> > It would be great if you could take a quick look at the Contribution
> > Service Repository, and it would be great if we could enhance that to
> > support your scenarios as well.
> >
> > Some more info is available at the Contribution/Deployment page at the
> > wiki page [2] and you can also find some simple usage scenarios in
> > Contribution test case[3].
> >
> > If you have specific requirements or questions, please feel free to ask.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/lresende/sca/modules/contribution-installer/
> > [2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Deployment
> > [3]
> >
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/itest/contribution/src/test/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/test/contribution/ContributionServiceTestCase.java

This thread has made me think that I can potentially leverage the
contribution repository in the distributed runtime as a mechanism for
ensuring that the there is a layer of abstraction between the point at which
contributions are added to a (distributed) domain and the point at which
they are used (potentially in more than one distributed node). I've not
concerned myself with this sort of thing to date as I have each node read
all of the contributions from the file system.

However I'm not sure I understand how the repository gets used at present.
Looking at the code it seems that, when a contribution is added, a local
copy of the contributed resource is kept by the repository and this is what
is referenced by the resulting contribution. If I have the url of a
contribution is there a way I can ask that it be reprocessed base on what is
in the repository. I'm not sure I want to do that but am just trying to
understand it's role.

Simon

Re: Contribution Service Repository - was, Fwd: Returning complex types from a service

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
Thanks, i shall take a look at those links, actually I think I did already
just copy some of the code from that testcase you mention.

Maybe you could take a look at the HotUpdatableSCADomain [1], particularly
the initContributions method? All its really doing is starting a domain
using multiple contributions, it only copies them to a temp location so the
temp jars can be used in the classpath to avoid locking the original
contribution jars. If the ContributionService can copy the contributions to