Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/27 19:55:55 UTC

GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Hi Xiaofeng,

I'm a 3rd year university student with a C/C++ background and also a
reasonable amount of knowledge in Perl and Java. I'm interested in working
on the "*Build a garbage collector for C/C++ programs on the top of Harmony"
project (harmony-gc-5). I would like to know your expectations regarding
this.

I have read through the Markmail archives of the Harmony dev list, and also
the discussion at [1]. And, would like to know a bit more on this project.

[1] http://www.perl6.org/perl6-internals/2007-10/msg00091.html

Thanks,

Senaka Fernando,
Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering,
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka
*

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
> Btw, what typically constitutes the porting layer?
For GC it is mostly limited to atomic and fence inlinable asm codes
and thread OS calls.

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Xaio-Feng,

Ok, I got it!

You meant the mark-sweep within the gc_gen.

Regards,
Senaka

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Xaio-Feng,

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

Thanks.

Regards,
Senaka

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Senaka,

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Senaka,

Welcome to the community. If I would set expectations for
harmony-gc-5, I would suggest that Parrot VM test base passes on
Parrot with XFL garbage collector plugged in. This includes subtasks

--
With best regards,
Alexei