Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by re...@gmx.net on 2003/07/03 15:18:16 UTC

[Vote] Move flow related "packages"

As you probably read at my previous mail "[Flow] Status"
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105722900706900&w=2
there are 3 flow related "packages" which should go to the main trunk:

 [Vote 1] JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
    Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.
    You should find some docs here (after a build including the docs):
    [http://localhost:8888/docs/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html]

 [Vote 2] Forms
    Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation. See
    [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105389102015851&w=2]
    Of course we need a migration guide for our users.

 [Vote 3] Petstore

   a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.

   b) The connection to the database is implemented with JavaScript objects.
      This should not stop the release as we can implement it e.g. with OJB
      in the future.

Here my four +1!

Regards,
Reinhard

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 4/07/2003 23:15 Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>> [Vote 1] JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
>>    Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.    You
>> should find some docs here (after a build including the docs):
>>    [http://localhost:8888/docs/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html]
>>

> +0.5 to core; +0 to block -- I'm not sure what this stuff does but
> sounds like core ;-)

+1 on core - after some more poundering it seems like this wouldn't make
much sense in its own block, and there's many other components still
left in the core that should be moved out if we use the same criteria

it's quite some piece of code, though

>> [Vote 2] Forms
>>    Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation. See
>>    [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105389102015851&w=2]
>>    Of course we need a migration guide for our users.
>>

> +1 for moving into the block

+1 for block, dunnow about replacing xmlforms (might be a bit too
ambitious?)

>> [Vote 3] Petstore
>>
>>   a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.
>>

> +1 for moving into the block

+1 - keeps the database.js thing out of the core ;-)

I'm glad we understood each other.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> After readin' Steven' clarifications...
>
>> [Vote 1] JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
>>    Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.

+1 (also core)

>> [Vote 2] Forms
>>    Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation.

+1 (also block)

>> [Vote 3] Petstore
>>   a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.
    + b) The connection to the database is implemented with JavaScript
objects.

+1 (also block)

Joerg

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

reinhard_poetz@gmx.net wrote:

>As you probably read at my previous mail "[Flow] Status"
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105722900706900&w=2
>there are 3 flow related "packages" which should go to the main trunk:
>

> [Vote 1] JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
>    Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.
>    You should find some docs here (after a build including the docs):
>    [http://localhost:8888/docs/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html]

+0.5 to core; +0 to block -- I'm not sure what this stuff does but
sounds like core ;-)

> [Vote 2] Forms
>    Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation. See
>    [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105389102015851&w=2]
>    Of course we need a migration guide for our users.

+1 for moving into the block

> [Vote 3] Petstore
>
>   a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.

+1 for moving into the block

Vadim

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Ricardo Rocha <ri...@apache.org>.
reinhard_poetz@gmx.net wrote:
>  [Vote 1] JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
>     Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.
+1

>  [Vote 2] Forms
>     Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation. See
+1

>  [Vote 3] Petstore
>
>    a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.
+1
>    b) The connection to the database is implemented with JavaScript objects.
>       This should not stop the release as we can implement it e.g. with OJB
>       in the future.
+1

Yes all the way

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by re...@gmx.net.
> reinhard_poetz@gmx.net wrote:
>
> >From: Steven Noels
> >

> >>It's some 120K of code being added to the core. Syntactical sugar for
> >>the flow in the sitemap is essentially orthogonal to
> >>JXTransformer/-Generator (and agreed upon IIUC), but moving this into
> >>its own block might grow a better community wrt. documentation, coherent
> >>samples and support.
> >>

> >After sending the mail I thought the same. So I'm +1 that  the
> >JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer, all flow examples, the flow
> documentation
> >and the Petstore go into this new "fow" block.
> >

> We already voted that flow is the very important part for the Cocoon and
> is stay in the core. Why sudden move?

I know that there has been a vote on this. Here we talk about additional
stuff and cocoon.jar is already very large. On the other hand this additional
stuff gives you "a first impression" on what control flow is about and if we
put it into a block it may appear less important. And this additional stuff
(JXTemplateGenerator) is at the moment the best way to implement the view of
flow applications.

So my conculsion: IMO we should discuss these things after a release because
the 14th (beta1) is very close and the upcoming blocks will change a lot. So
Vadim you are right, we should respect the result of this vote and change
things in the future and not now (=until we released 2.1).

Cheers,

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 4/07/2003 16:40 Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> We already voted that flow is the very important part for the Cocoon and
> is stay in the core. Why sudden move?

I'm not suggesting to move anything 'out' of the core, but I'm reluctant
to move new stuff into the core build which isn't absolutely necessary,
especially now that we finally have a manageble and componentized build
system wth blocks and all that. So I'm +1 on the FOM and related core
flow stuff being added to the care, but would like to see some
consideration before simply dropping the PetStore in the core. Ditto for
JXForms to give some examples (but since XMLForm is already in its own
block , I guess jxform isn't exactly a problem).
JXTransformer/-Generator I don't know, except that it's quite some code.

A block is *not* a second-class citizen in Cocoon. It's a polite way of
providing people with they stuff *they* choose to use, and nothing else.
There's plenty of users out there who use the authentication-fw for
example, still it's a block.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Vendredi, 4 juil 2003, à 13:20 Europe/Zurich, reinhard_poetz@gmx.net
a écrit :

> ...After sending the mail I thought the same. So I'm +1 that  the
> JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer, all flow examples, the flow
> documentation
> and the Petstore go into this new "fow" block....

Can't JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer live in its own block, separate
from the samples?

If all of the Flow subsystem moves to its own block later, IMHO we
could then have the following blocks:

   flow
   flow-samples (assuming there are many of them, else put them in flow)
   petstore (separate, as IIRC it also demonstrates several template
systems)
   jx

I think making more blocks makes it easier to understand what is what.

-Bertrand

From: Steven Noels

> It's some 120K of code being added to the core. Syntactical sugar for
> the flow in the sitemap is essentially orthogonal to
> JXTransformer/-Generator (and agreed upon IIUC), but moving this into
> its own block might grow a better community wrt. documentation, coherent
> samples and support.

After sending the mail I thought the same. So I'm +1 that  the
JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer, all flow examples, the flow documentation
and the Petstore go into this new "fow" block.

So the sitemap related classes, the interpreter and the rhino-continuations
library
stay in the core until we refactor the core with the blocks implementation
we hopefully start soon after the 2.1 release.

> > The Petstore could move to the flow examples.
>
> I'd like to see this being put into its own (perhaps flow-centric
> sample-only) block.

see above

http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/index.php?report=months&group_id=18425

> I'm just very careful about all this because I see now what harm the
> dramatic overselling of XMLForms is causing us ATM.

What do we have now?

 - Ivelin implemented XMLForms and after some time we moved them into
   its own block.

 - After some time Ivelin decided to start xmlform.org. This step has
   not led to the success he had expected and Christopher decided
   that he doesn't want JXForms depend on an external community.

 - Bruno started another, very different form framework some month
   ago. It doesn't  follow any spec and is currently alpha.

So what should we do?

I think it is very easy to integrate XMLForms and JXForms because
a look into the sources showed me that they are nearly the same. The big
difference is the controller but this part is plugable and
a matter of taste whether you would like the control flow or an
action to control your forms application.

So I'm +1 to have one block (I would call it XMLForms) and
this is a combination of both (the 'old' XMLForms block and JXForms)
and contains one example controlling the form application with
a control flow and another with the XMLFormsAction. See also
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105389102015851&w=2
--> it contains information about off-list communication between Christohper
and Ivelin.

... and Woody is Woody and IMO completly different. As you
said evolution will show us which use cases are better solved with
XMLForms/JXForms and which with Woody. So I don't
worry that we have to decide something here.

What do you think?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
reinhard_poetz@gmx.net wrote:
> As you probably read at my previous mail "[Flow] Status"
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105722900706900&w=2
> there are 3 flow related "packages" which should go to the main trunk:
>

>  [Vote 1] JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
>     Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.
>     You should find some docs here (after a build including the docs):
>     [http://localhost:8888/docs/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html]

+1

>  [Vote 2] Forms
>     Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation. See
>     [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105389102015851&w=2]
>     Of course we need a migration guide for our users.

+1 ... and we need a userdocs/concepts document that mentions
each Forms implementation without steering people in any particular
direction.

>  [Vote 3] Petstore
>
>    a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.
>
>    b) The connection to the database is implemented with JavaScript objects.
>       This should not stop the release as we can implement it e.g. with OJB
>       in the future.

+1

--David

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
>>     Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.

+1

>>     Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation.

+1

>>    a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.

+1

>>    b) The connection to the database is implemented with JavaScript
>> objects.
>>       This should not stop the release as we can implement it e.g.
>> with OJB
>>       in the future.

+1

-Bertrand

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 02:18 PM, reinhard_poetz@gmx.net wrote:

> As you probably read at my previous mail "[Flow] Status"
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105722900706900&w=2
> there are 3 flow related "packages" which should go to the main trunk:
>

>  [Vote 1] JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
>     Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.
>     You should find some docs here (after a build including the docs):
>     [http://localhost:8888/docs/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html]

+ 1, Already very useful and capable

>  [Vote 2] Forms
>     Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation. See
>
> [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105389102015851&w=2]
>     Of course we need a migration guide for our users.

+1, JXForms appears to be the version that is being maintained.

>  [Vote 3] Petstore
>
>    a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.

+1

>    b) The connection to the database is implemented with JavaScript
> objects.
>       This should not stop the release as we can implement it e.g.
> with OJB
>       in the future.

+ 1, I don't see why this should hold up a release

regards Jeremy

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Lundi, 7 juil 2003, à 09:32 Europe/Zurich, Reinhard Pötz a écrit :

> Is there a rule how long a voting has to run until it is valid?

AFAIK there's no set rule for such votes

> started the
> voting last Thursday.

Seems like plenty of time for everybody to express their opinions.

-Bertrand

RE: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
Up to now 8 people voted - no negative vote.

Is there a rule how long a voting has to run until it is valid? I
started the
voting last Thursday.

Cheers,
Reinhard

RE: [Vote] Move flow related "packages" - Result

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
> >  [Vote 3] Petstore
> >
> >    a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.
>
> 8x  +1
>
> Move it to a "petstore" block

I moved the Petstore into its own block and marked it as unstable. As it
doesn't contain any interfaces stable/unstable doesn't make really
sense. I chose "unstable" because of some problems (images and some
number formatting issues) with the JXPath view.

I also updated gump.xml - maybe somebody with more Gump
knowledge could review my changes.
TIA

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
After 4 days time - here are the results:

From: Reinhard Pötz

> As you probably read at my previous mail "[Flow] Status"
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105722900706900&w=2
> there are 3 flow related "packages" which should go to the main trunk:
>

>  [Vote 1] JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
>     Move the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer to the main trunk.
>     You should find some docs here (after a build including the docs):
>     [http://localhost:8888/docs/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html]

5x  +1
2x  +1   (core)
1x  +0,5 (core)

So these components go to the core.

>  [Vote 2] Forms
>     Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation. See
>
> [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105389102015851&w=2]
>     Of course we need a migration guide for our users.

8x  +1

JXForms will go into the XMLForms block and will be a second
implementation
of the controller.

>  [Vote 3] Petstore
>
>    a) Move Petstore to the main trunk.

8x  +1

Move it to a "petstore" block

>    b) The connection to the database is implemented with
>       JavaScript objects.
>       This should not stop the release as we can implement it
>       e.g. with OJB in the future.

7x  +1

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Dmitry Lisenko wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 reinhard_poetz@gmx.net wrote:

>> [Vote 2] Forms
>>    Replace XMLForms with the JXForms implementation. See
>>    [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105389102015851&w=2]
>>    Of course we need a migration guide for our users.
>>

>Hope you leave XMLForms as deprecated package in 2.1 release?
>We are (and others) have our code extends current XMLForms implemetation.

Don't worry; it will still be there. And I guess it won't be deprecated yet.

Vadim

Re: [Vote] Move flow related "packages"

Posted by Dmitry Lisenko <dm...@htec.kiev.ua>.