Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/10/04 05:22:08 UTC

status of "views" development (Was: svn commit: r292072)

So i am going to try to summarise so that we can
continue to work in Thorsten's absence..

The views development is now in two new plugins:
* internal.structurer (which was copied from internal.view)
* output.themes (which was copied from output.viewHelper.xhtml)

The input.viewHelper.xhtml.ls plugin is still relevant to
get a list of contracts.

Development of the old plugins has now ceased. The last
working version was SVN revision r292708.

Documentation will need to be changed.

-David

Re: status of "views" development (Was: svn commit: r292072)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 05-10-2005 a las 12:15 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > David Crossley escribi??:

> > > What "definition" are you referring to?
> >
> > The J2EE dispatcher view pattern.
> >
> > > I am going by the description at
> > > site-author/content/xdocs/TR/2005/WD-forrest10.html
> > >
> > > The first two steps provide the initial content via an
> > > input plugin, then views operate from Step 3 onwards
> > > adding more content nuggets, functionality, and design.
> >
> > No:
> >   request                                                    theme
> >      |                                                         |
> >     \|/                                                       \|/
> > core (views) -> output plugin (views can bypass them) -> output/response
> >    |   /|\
> >   \|/   |
> > +------------------+    +-----------------+
> > |forrest:contracts |--->|  input plugin   |
> > |forrest:properties|<---|src (+navigation)|
> > +------------------+    +-----------------+
> >
> > View is the one and only dispatcher that will only request what is
> > needed. We do not have a linear processing anymore. Views are
> > responsible to contact the src-resolver (1.) and dispatch/filter (2.).
> > What I am trying to say (since my work with views started) is that 3. is
> > done in the dispatching phase to not carrying content down the pipe that
> > is not needed.
>
> > Views are more then a structurer, mainly it is a
> > dispatcher.
> >
> > IMO it should be:
> > 1) Resolver (view)
> > 2) Filter (content as dispatched and determined by the view)
> > 3) Xifier (content)
> > 4) Windower (presentation)
> > 5) Themer (presentation)
> > 6) Serializer (presentation)
>
> I will need to read and re-read to digest that.
>
> The reason that i got concerned, and still am, is that
> i have an input plugin that does pre-processing
> of the initial source, e.g. request two different
> sources, process them separately and aggregate them
> using multiple sitemap matches, and then provide the
> unified source as a table for the rest of forrest
> to handle. Can views "contracts" do such complex
> processing involving Cocoon pipelines, or are they
> restricted to simple single xsl tasks?

jeje

They can do much more then simple xsl. That is "just" the viewHelper
part. View helper are doing mainly transformation.

nugget-contracts are used to connect input plugins or any other business
service that provide data. They can e.g. contact your input plugin and
get the aggregate or you can let views collect everything. That is
finally a design decision. The only condition that have to be meet that
you can connect this services through cocoon://something. Where
something can be as well any uri.

Hope that explains it a bit better, please keep on asking. ;-)

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: status of "views" development (Was: svn commit: r292072)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mar, 04-10-2005 a las 19:20 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > David Crossley escribi??:
> > >
> > > What! Do you mean also the original source which provides
> > > the main content?
> >
> > Per definition there is no main content anymore. That is why I always
> > said views are going to change forrest from ground up. In combination
> > with the lm forrest could be used as renderer only.
>
> What "definition" are you referring to?

The J2EE dispatcher view pattern.

> I am going by the description at
> site-author/content/xdocs/TR/2005/WD-forrest10.html
>
> The first two steps provide the initial content via an
> input plugin, then views operate from Step 3 onwards
> adding more content nuggets, functionality, and design.

No:
  request                                                    theme
    \|/                                                       \|/
core (views) -> output plugin (views can bypass them) -> output/response
   |   /|\
  \|/   |
+------------------+    +-----------------+

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mar, 04-10-2005 a las 13:22 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> The views development is now in two new plugins:
> * internal.structurer (which was copied from internal.view)
> * output.themes (which was copied from output.viewHelper.xhtml)
>
> The input.viewHelper.xhtml.ls plugin is still relevant to
> get a list of contracts.

> Development of the old plugins has now ceased. The last
> working version was SVN revision r292708.

That is right. The "new" version of views, that are will be used in the
future are in the new plugins. They are based on jx-templates.

> Documentation will need to be changed.

for the new plugins because the contracts have to request all content
that they are using. There is no default pipeline anymore.

Cheers David to summarize this.

salu2

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> So i am going to try to summarise so that we can
>> continue to work in Thorsten's absence..
>>
>> The views development is now in two new plugins:
>> * internal.structurer (which was copied from internal.view)
>> * output.themes (which was copied from output.viewHelper.xhtml)
>

> Yes
>
> Although Thorsten has asked us not to do anything with respect to the
> Locationmap, which makes things kind of difficult. He's on IRC right
> now, I'm going to address this with him and see where we can get to.

Summary of IRC input from Thorsten...

The problem is that JXPath is breaking site: and ext: protocols and so
the work on his hard disk is broken. Hence not committing yet (I guess).

He needs help getting JXPath to work.

Over on IRC I just made a radical suggestion, that is currently being
discussed. I'm having to leave for a few hours. hopefully an update will
be available when I return.

Stay tuned....

Ross

Re: status of "views" development (Was: svn commit: r292072)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> So i am going to try to summarise so that we can
> continue to work in Thorsten's absence..
>
> The views development is now in two new plugins:
> * internal.structurer (which was copied from internal.view)
> * output.themes (which was copied from output.viewHelper.xhtml)

Yes

Although Thorsten has asked us not to do anything with respect to the
Locationmap, which makes things kind of difficult. He's on IRC right
now, I'm going to address this with him and see where we can get to.

> The input.viewHelper.xhtml.ls plugin is still relevant to
> get a list of contracts.

Yes

> Development of the old plugins has now ceased. The last
> working version was SVN revision r292708.

Yes

> Documentation will need to be changed.

Actually this has to happen with respect to the old views as well as the
two are way out of sync. Probably not worth it though