Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Christoph Emmersberger <ce...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/26 21:29:26 UTC

Consideration to Create GitHub Mirrors for Apache Extras Project

Hello,

I’m reaching out, in order to get your thoughts on the creation of GitHub mirrors for existing Apache Extras project.

Quite some time ago, we had an infrastructure related discussion on the camel-extra mailing list [1] and figured, that GitHub might be a good collaborative space that attracts other developers. Additionally, GitHub provides a well established code contribution approach. In order to bring the discussion into the right direction, I have filed an INFRA ticket [2], to track the progress on this topic. My proposal is:

(1) Create an “Apache Extras” organisation on GitHub (similar to the Apache organisation [3])
(2) Notify Apache Extras projects about the existence of the GitHub organisation
(3) Mirror existing Google code git repositories

Even if there are still ongoing discussions, if Google code is the appropriate space for Apache Extras, the creation of mirrors would not interfere any migration opportunities and rather facilitate any upcoming decision.

Please provide your thoughts on that topic.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Christoph

[1] http://camel-extra.1091541.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Migration-to-Jira-td141.html#a151 <http://camel-extra.1091541.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Migration-to-Jira-td141.html#a151>[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-8529
 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-8529>[3] https://github.com/apache <https://github.com/apache>

Re: Consideration to Create GitHub Mirrors for Apache Extras Project

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ciao Roger,
a big +1 from me, GitHUB (and Git) propose a much better collaborative
environment.
The only problem we have is that none of our repository is Git based,
but unless objections I think we could start with these ...

Could you make some check on converting (with all history if possible) ?
If yes, does it makes sense to keep them at Google code (maybe only in
a freeze status) ?
Last, the same could be applied to Pivot-JFree ?

Bye,
Sandro

Fwd: Consideration to Create GitHub Mirrors for Apache Extras Project

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Christoph Emmersberger wrote:
> Just wanted to raise the question, if mirroring has been considered
> at any stage, or if this is completely out of scope. The mirrors are
> rather a developer convenience and not meant to replace the main
> repositories.

If you are suggesting that this mirroring happens on Github, please make
sure first that it's not violating Github's terms of service: despite
recent amendments, https://github.com/blog/1302-goodbye-uploads still
seems to prohibit the kind of use OpenOffice does of Apache Extras,
i.e., a repository for external tarballs:
https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-extras/downloads/list

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Consideration to Create GitHub Mirrors for Apache Extras Project

Posted by Christoph Emmersberger <ce...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the heads up, … yes, I saw the previous discussion and no, my proposal is not meant to target any of the current activities.

Just wanted to raise the question, if mirroring has been considered at any stage, or if this is completely out of scope. The mirrors are rather a developer convenience and not meant to replace the main repositories.

Best,

Christoph

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Sorry here's the mail I meant to send...

We are evaluating options around Apache-extras at present. I'd note that its nit the tools that create communities, its the people within. It could be argued that GitHub is the default place for folks to search but other than that the location is mostly irrelevant

Sent from my Windows Phone

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
We

Sent from my Windows Phone