Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ohaya <oh...@cox.net> on 2005/01/31 05:08:20 UTC

Running Tomcat as service

Hi,

I've been running (an older) version of Tomcat (4.1.31) on a test
Windows 2000 system for awhile as an application, and this weekend, I
wanted to try to run it as a service, so I downloaded and ran the .EXE
version from www.apache.org.

The installation seemed to go ok, but whenever the service starts, I am
having a problem...  I am seeing an error "Exception in cleanup after
start failed".  From what I can tell, this is happening when Tomcat is
trying to deploy the "examples".

I've been doing some searching on this, and although I didn't find
anything specific to it, I did find some "hints", and I tried deleteing
the context for "examples" in the server.xml file.

After I did that, and restarted the Tomcat service, it looks like it
came up without errors, but of course, I don't have the examples
anymore.  This is all right, I guess, but I'm just curious as to why
this occurred, and if there was another resolution other than completely
deleting the context?

I think that I am also noticing that when Tomcat is run as a service (on
Windows 2000, at least), it seems to run a lot slower than when I ran it
as an application.

Is this "normal", and is there anything that I can do to "tune" the
service configuration to improve its performance?

Thanks in advance,
Jim