Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/12 21:33:58 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Hadoop 0.22.0 release

On December 10, 2011 Hadoop PMC voted to release Hadoop 0.22.0
See http://s.apache.org/COC

The release have been brewing for one year.
It incorporates over 700 jiras fixed since the release of 0.21.0.
It is good to have it finalized.

Please note that 0.22.0 release does not support security.
For more details see the release news page and the release notes
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html#News
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.22.0/releasenotes.html

The release can be downloaded from
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html#Download

Than you everybody for contributing to Apache Hadoop!
--Konstantin

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Hadoop 0.22.0 release

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Good question, Jie.

In the voting thread for Hadoop 0.22.0 I provided some information on
what was done for 0.22.0 and where it stands with respect to its
stability. If you follow this thread
http://s.apache.org/COC
the one with the subject line "[VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0" you
may find some useful details.

Based on everything I now about the release, based on the testing I
and people I worked and/or collaborated with, based on that 0.21.0 was
its alpha predecessor and current stable is 0.20.203.X, I think it
leaves 0.22.0 in beta stage. But the point is not what I think.

The important thing is what you and everybody else think once you try
and verify it. Hadoop is intended for different platforms and use
cases. With as much testing as one can do the only guarantee of
stability in your particular environment and with your own big data is
to try it, confirm the results, file, or fix bugs. Contributions to
the project as a user or a developer are equally welcome.

Thanks,
--Konstantin
P.S. http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Good question, Jie.

Posted by Jie Li <ji...@cs.duke.edu>.

Posted by Jie Li <ji...@cs.duke.edu>.

Posted by Jie Li <ji...@cs.duke.edu>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yes this has been discussed in one of the threads about Hadoop 1.0.
The idea was to rename .20 to 1; .22 to 2 and .23 to 3. So it's a
matter of reaching a consensus via voting.
--Konstantin

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.