Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sa...@itsprojects.com on 2002/12/21 15:10:56 UTC

Tomcat configuration Issue.. help

Hi,

     I have a very basic issue with configuring tomcat (OS : Windows NT)

     Just now i installed Tomcat 4.0.6 after struggling to get my
application configured with JServ-GNUJSP on apache. My problem with tomcat
is .. it is not recognizing my web.xml i guess.. can anyone help me ?

here is what i did.. RICE is the name of my application. so i created an
entry in server.xml as follows..

<Context path="/rice" docBase="rice"      debug="0" reloadable="true"/>

Then i created a directory - "rice" under <TOMCAT_HOME>\webapps\ and i put
my jsps and other documents under <TOMCAT_HOME>\webapps\rice\jsp etc...

Then i created  WEB-INF folder  under <TOMCAT_HOME>\webapps\rice\ directory
and also created 'classes' directory.  Then i put all my classes under that
acocrding to my package structure..

I created a web.xml under WEB-INF directory. web.xml file is pasted below:

I am able to seemy jsps.. but when  i called my servlet like
"http://localhost/servlet/controllerservlet/" from my JSP, it is giving me
404 error saying.

unavailable
2002-12-21 19:18:33 invoker: Cannot allocate servlet instance for path
/servlet/controllerservlet/
javax.servlet.ServletException: Wrapper cannot find servlet class
controllerservlet or a class it depends on
     at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:873)

I guess it didn't recognize my WEB-INF folder and my web.xml file?? Where
did i go wrong?
Btw, in windows NT, the WEB-INF folder is created like 'Web-inf'.. is that
a problem> but its workin for example files!!

Sorry if my mail is too long and confused anyone.. i described everything
what i did..:))

Thanks in advance,
Sanjeev

====
My web.xml
====

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>

    <display-name>RICE Application</display-name>
    <description>
     This is a simple web application with a source code organization
     based on the recommendations of the Application Developer's Guide.
    </description>

     <servlet>
          <servlet-name>controllerservlet</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>com.honeywell.rice.servlet.ControllerServlet</servlet-class>
         </servlet>

     <servlet-mapping>
          <servlet-name>controllerservlet</servlet-name>
          <url-pattern>/servlet/controllerservlet</url-pattern>
     </servlet-mapping>

</web-app>
====

Sanjeev Kumar C K