Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Alireza Fattahi <Al...@pdpsoft.com> on 2002/12/26 08:34:46 UTC

Data Access Objects

Hi,

Maybe I can not ask it here, but did any of you guys use any tools for
creating Data Access Objects.
We are using a tool "DBArchitect for Java" This tool is free. It creates all
insert, update, searchByPk methods automatically. It has some weakness. Are
there other free tools out there?
Are EJBs do the same thing?

Alireza.

Re: Data Access Objects

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Actually, OJB stands for Object Relational Bridge (yeah, hard to tell
where the acronym comes from).

http://jakarta.apache.org/ojb/

Torque will come closer to building a "DAO" for you, if I understand
correctly. However, there is a lot of power to be found in OJB. In the
end, you have to decide what's important to you and then choose your
tool accordingly. If you wind up using OJB you'll still code your DAOs -
you'll build them on top of OJB instead of JDBC though.

--
Eddie Bush

Re: Data Access Objects

RE: Data Access Objects

Posted by Deepika Malik <de...@patni.com>.
Hi,

How can i get actionmappings object in my perform method.
basucally i want to find out the form bean associated with
an action object other than the one which has been currently invoked.

please advise...thanks in advance,
Deepika

Re: Data Access Objects

Posted by Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com>.
The best tool I know for the job is Oracle's Business Components for Java J2EE framework.
It gives you a complete framework for building the business objects layer for your
Struts application, provides built-in persistence handling for your business objects,
and provides convenient data access components that cooperate automatically with
your businessobjects to reduce common coding tasks.

The current production release, 9.0.3, has rich new support for using a BC4J-powered
"Business Service" layer (acting as the model layer in your MVC architecture) together
with Struts and JSP.

  http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html

BC4J comes free with the Oracle JDeveloper9i Java IDE that you can download here:

  http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev

Despite what you might think (coming from Oracle), the framework works well
with any SQL database with a JDBC driver and with any J2EE-compliant application server.

A fully-supported developer license for the IDE costs $995.00, and the
BC4J Framework has no additional runtime fees.

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML Evangelist, Author
Simplify J2EE Development with the Oracle BC4J Framework
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
Building Oracle XML Apps, http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp