Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Suchith Javagal <su...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/21 14:41:51 UTC

I want to start contributing to Apache Hadoop project

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie who wants to contribute to the Apache Hadoop project. My
skills include Java,C,C++ (Intermediate) and Scala(Basic..I can manage
though). I cloned the repo today. How do I get started?

Regards,
Suchith J N

RE: I want to start contributing to Apache Hadoop project

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.
Thanks for the interest, Suchith Javagal.

Have you seen http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute from the Apache
Hadoop wiki? I think it is a good starting point if you want to become
familiar with the project.

Also, the wiki page has a very handy link to all
the JIRAs that are "easy" fixes that you can do and get you started
contributing to the project:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331506

I recommend doing the following:

1) Look at unit test JIRAs, both open and closed.  Tons of benefits:
they'll help you understand some part of the API, some could use some
comments and enhancements, etc.

2) Pick a component (ResourceManager, NodeManager, MR APIs, DataNode,
NameNode, etc.) and focus on that to start.  It's easier than trying to
understand it all at once.

3) Participate in some code reviews.  It will be non-binding, but testing
out other code can help you understand some part.

Thanks & Regards
 Brahma Reddy Battula