Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by r0tty <r0...@hotmail.com> on 2016/08/02 10:05:06 UTC

Recovery from hung queue

Hi,

Can anyone help me understand what just happened and how I can take the
corrective action if it happens again?

What happened:

1.	A larger than usual batch of messages was released to a queue
2.	The queue became unresponsive (could not browse through the web
front-end)
3.	The rest of ActiveMQ was fine - all other queues were operational and
could be browsed
4.	Tried purging and then deleting the hung queue
5.	All the other queues became unresponsive
6.	Restarted AMQ
7.	Everything returned to normal and was fine

Between steps 3 and 4 it was noted that temp percent used was 133.  It was
also noted that files were present in localhost/tmp_storage (db-2.log, lock,
tmpDB.data, tmpDB.redo).

Ideally I would like to know what corrective action I could have taken that
would have repaired the queue that originally hung without causing problems
for other queues.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Regards,
Rotty

Re: Recovery from hung queue

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
One suggestion for corrective action is to upgrade to a version of ActiveMQ
that's not five years old.....

Re: Recovery from hung queue

Re: Recovery from hung queue

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
Did you save a thread dump? The thread dump would be the best way to know
for sure why everything was unresponsive because it would tell you what
each thread is waiting on.  Also, what version are you using?