Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Vasudevan Comandur <vc...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/02 19:07:26 UTC

Question on Proximity Search in Lucene Query

Hi All,

   I had posted the below mentioned query a week back and I have not
received any response from the group so far.
  I was wondering if this is a trivial question to the group or it has been
answered previously.

  I appreciate your answers or any pointers to the answers are also welcome.

Regards
 Vasu

   I have a question on the proximity query usage in Lucene Query Syntax.

  The documentation says "W1 W2"~5 means W1 and W2 can occur within 5 words.
Here W1 & W2 represents Words.

  What happens when I give "W1 W2 W3 W4"~25 as proximity query?

   Does it treat each word pairs (W1, W2) , (W1, W3) , (W1, W4) , (W2, W3) ,
(W2, W4) , (W3, W4) can occur within 25 words?

   Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
 Vasu

Re: Question on Proximity Search in Lucene Query

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
See page 88 in Lucene In Action for a fuller explanation, including
ordering considerations.

But basically, phrase query slop is the maximum number of
"moves" be required to get all the words next to each other
in the proper order. If you can get all the words next to each
other within slop moves, you succeed.

So, it's not pairwise. I don't want to reproduce the example
in the book, but that'd be the place to start.

Best
Erick