Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ah...@madasafish.com on 2006/02/08 22:59:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Allow HTTP DELETE method?

Joshua Slive wrote...

"Apache 1.3 does not impliment the DELETE method with any of its
distributed modules.  You'd need to seperately download mod_dav.
Apache 2.x comes with mod_dav."

I see. The 1.3 documentation here seems to suggest that DELETE would work, which
confused me...

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#limit

I must admit to finding it very surprising that you would need to install a
WebDAV module just so files can be deleted from your server.

However, it looks as though it won't run under versions earlier than 1.3.4 anyway :-(

http://www.webdav.org/mod_dav/#how

So it would seem I'll also need to upgrade my server to implement this! Surely
this can't be right?

---- - Message sent via Madasafish Webmail - http://www.madasafish.com/ Up to 8Mb Broadband now from just �11.99 a month

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Allow HTTP DELETE method?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 2/8/06, ahall@madasafish.com <ah...@madasafish.com> wrote:
> Joshua Slive wrote...
>
> "Apache 1.3 does not impliment the DELETE method with any of its
> distributed modules.  You'd need to seperately download mod_dav.
> Apache 2.x comes with mod_dav."
>
> I see. The 1.3 documentation here seems to suggest that DELETE would work, which
> confused me...
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#limit

No, it simply suggests that if some module or script chooses to
impliment DELETE, then it can be restricted using <Limit>.  DELETE is
a webdav extension method that is not part of the original HTTP spec
and certainly does not need to be implimented by a base HTTP server.

Joshua.