Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com> on 2014/11/28 17:20:36 UTC

Move The Asset Maintenance Component To A Separate Project (was: Suggest branch rather than release strategy?)

As has been discussed in this thread, we can spin off special purpose
components to their own projects - where they can form their own
communities and support structure.

I am willing to use the Asset Maintenance component as a trial run. Here
are some of my initial thoughts, comments are welcome:

1. Check with the ASF legal department before doing anything.
2. Create a project on a popular hosting site (like SourceForge, but it
could be anywhere).
3. Set up initial committers.
4. Notify the OFBiz mailing lists about the new project.
5. Drop the Asset Maintenance component from the ASF repo.

The component would maintain the ASL 2 license. Support for various
versions of OFBiz will be decided by the Asset Maintenance community.

If the spin-off is a success, then all is good. If it fails, then the
Asset Maintenance component is added back to the ASF repo.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: Move The Asset Maintenance Component To A Separate Project

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
No need to fork the project. Let's keep it within Apache.

On 28/11/2014 11:20 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
> As has been discussed in this thread, we can spin off special purpose
> components to their own projects - where they can form their own
> communities and support structure.
>
> I am willing to use the Asset Maintenance component as a trial run.
> Here are some of my initial thoughts, comments are welcome:
>
> 1. Check with the ASF legal department before doing anything.
> 2. Create a project on a popular hosting site (like SourceForge, but
> it could be anywhere).
Why not use the Apache site?

http://git.apache.org/  has a Git repo for OfBiz
git://git.apache.org/ofbiz.git

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Move The Asset Maintenance Component To A Separate Project

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Yes, I do have interest in asset maintenance application and I like the idea and direction proposed by Adrian.

With time I will figure out ways to support this experiment.

Anil Patel.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Good point, thanks!

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: Move The Asset Maintenance Component To A Separate Project (was: Suggest branch rather than release strategy?)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 28/11/2014 10:14 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
> Yeah I understood that.  Deleting simply means it won't be available
> in future releases.  It wouldn't suddenly disappear out of
> pre-existing releases.
Got it.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com