Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> on 2014/01/22 19:36:38 UTC

Roadmap for 1.8.0 and beyond?

Picking up from discussions last year about our release cadence
[1]...would it make sense to try to put together a draft backlog for
1.8/2.0 and beyond, to see what development capacity we're likely to
have and hence what can realistically be done?

ap

[1] http://apache.markmail.org/thread/fa6lpg7bbq32ayfl

Re: Roadmap for 1.8.0 and beyond?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
Related to the roadmap, but perhaps worthy of a separate discussion:
what kind of strategy are we aiming for with regard to provider
maintenance? Apart from the great work the Rackspace guys our doing,
our existing providers are generally going stale and risk becoming
outdated. vCloud and Terremark are two recent examples, but there also
hasn't been much work recently on AWS or Google stuff.

Do we need to approach users and/or vendors to ask them to contribute
time, with the chance that we will remove/deprecate all providers for
which no champion steps forward?

ap

Re: Roadmap for 1.8.0 and beyond?

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Jan 22, 2014, at 7:23 PM, Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> wrote:

> But of course this can also be made to work in JIRA if there's a strong preference for that…

No strong preference. Whatever works best.

Everett

RE: Roadmap for 1.8.0 and beyond?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> It's all going to wind up in JIRA anyway so why not just do it there
> to begin with?

I like the suggestion of a Wiki page because it allows for easier
collaborative changes, in my opinion. I suspect some of what's
proposed may *not* end up in JIRA for a while, so an initial round of
discussion could be useful.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
It's all going to wind up in JIRA anyway so why not just do it there to begin with?

That way we don't have to reconcile two things.

My 2 cents.

Everett

P.S. I'm in a book sprint for the next two days so I'll be unavailable. See you next week!

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
We should also improve the testing process for releases.  I have run
blobstore tests against several providers from 1.6 onwards but including
compute providers and formalizing the process would give us more
confidence in release quality.  This will require fixing broken tests.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: Roadmap for 1.8.0 and beyond?