Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> on 2020/08/20 17:38:23 UTC

Re: OpenSSL versions

> On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Don,
>
> Am 20.08.20 um 18:35 schrieb Don Lewis:
>>
>>> Need to look at the history of
>>>
>>> (1) openssl
>>> (2) curl
>>> (3) and the code that uses those.
>> The version of openssl used by 4.1.7 is seriously out of date and
>> doesn't support recent versions of TLS.
>
> Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
> trunk/AOO42X?

Yes, please.

> That version is "new" enough and has proven to be stable.

Here is the version history:

3.4: openssl-0.9.8o
4.0: openssl-0.9.8o
4.1.0: openssl-0.9.8zg
4.1.6: openssl-0.9.8zh

42X: openssl-1.0.2t

A general question as we triage the update services bug,

Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?

Regards,
Dave

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 24 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:

>> On 08/24/2020 3:18 PM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Is this a parallel build?  Has the offuh module been built and
>> delivered?  Seems oa little dd that offuh is not listed as a dependency
>> in sax/prj/build.lst, but it is listed as a dependency of cppuhelper and
>> cppuhelper is listed as a dependency of sax.
>>
>> When offuh is delivered, it should put a copy of UnicodeType.hpp here:
>> solver/*/unxlngx6.pro/inc/offuh/com/sun/star/i18n/UnicodeType.hpp
>
> I build using all cores (in this case 8). This was never a problem with 42X.
>
> There was no offuh module...

If offuh was not built and delivered then that will break sax for sure.

With the latest set of cherry-picks, I'm seeing these modules fail:
  beanshell
  hsqldb
  saxon
  apache-commons
  rhino
  lucene
  ridljar
  jvmfwk

which are most/all java, I think.

i haven't run into the libgcc_s.so.1 issue.

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
> On 08/24/2020 3:18 PM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Is this a parallel build?  Has the offuh module been built and
> delivered?  Seems oa little dd that offuh is not listed as a dependency
> in sax/prj/build.lst, but it is listed as a dependency of cppuhelper and
> cppuhelper is listed as a dependency of sax.
>
> When offuh is delivered, it should put a copy of UnicodeType.hpp here:
> solver/*/unxlngx6.pro/inc/offuh/com/sun/star/i18n/UnicodeType.hpp

I build using all cores (in this case 8). This was never a problem with 42X.

There was no offuh module...

I'm now compiling 418 on a single thread...

Thanks!

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 24 Aug, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 24 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
>> Hi Don, all
>>
>>> On 08/24/2020 3:18 PM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this a parallel build?
>>
>> Switched to single thread building
>>
>> build --all
>>
>> when it stopped I followed the suggestion by Rigo and deleted
>> /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>>
>> and restarted with build --all:icu
>>
>> Now it stopped again at
>>
>> In file included from /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/inc/boost/shared_array.hpp:17:0,
>>                  from ../inc/basebmp/bitmapdevice.hxx:32,
>>                  from /source/openoffice/main/basebmp/source/bitmapdevice.cxx:28:
>> /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/inc/boost/smart_ptr/shared_array.hpp:177:37: warning: mangled name for ‘void boost::shared_array<T>::reset(Y*, D) [with Y = unsigned char; D = void (*)(void*) throw (); T = unsigned char]’ will change in C++17 because the exception specification is part of a function type [-Wnoexcept-type]
>>      template<class Y, class D> void reset( Y * p, D d )
>>                                      ^~~~~
>> dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../unxlngx6.pro/slo/bitmapdevice.obj'
>>
>> 1 module(s):
>> 	basebmp
>> need(s) to be rebuilt
>>
>> Reason(s):
>>
>> ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making /source/openoffice/main/basebmp/source
>>
>> When you have fixed the errors in that module you can resume the build by running:
>>
>> 	build --all:basebmp
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> basebmp fails due to a bug that I patched in trunk and AOO42X a while
> back, when clang on FreeBSD found it.  I guess that the version of gcc
> in Ubuntu 18 doesn't like it either.  It's one of the bug fixes that I
> plan to cherry-pick for AOO418 tonight.

I justt did that, but there is another change that I need to cherry-pick
for the patch to bundled boost before we are ready for the -std=gnu++98
fix for Linux.  The ancient version of boost that we bundle doesn't
really understand the features of modern gcc.  I can get away with the
-std=gnu++98 setting the FreeBSD port of 4.1.7 because it uses system
boost, which is more modern.  I need to do some more testing before I'm
ready for this.

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 25 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Hi Don
>
>> On 08/25/2020 10:59 AM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> With the latest batch of cherry-picks that I just pushed to AOO418
>> and using OpenJDK 8, I was able to build AOO418 on Ubuntu 18.
>
> After updating with your latest changes and hacking a bit with the
> libgcc file mentioned in the subject, compiling ended with success.
> However after installing (without errors) the program doesn't run...
>
> Did you install (or execute the binaries)? If they work can you share
> the tar.gz file?

I haven't had a chance to install it.  Once it built, I declared victory
and went to sleep.

I didn't run into the libgcc_s.so.1 problem.

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Don

> On 08/25/2020 8:29 PM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:

> For me, it goes through the registration process and then I can create
> and save a writer document.  If I exit, I can reopen the document from
> the command line.  Looks like it works.

Sounds like a good one ;)

Can you upload it somewhere and share the link?

I will compile again tomorrow after switching to OpenJDK 8

Thanks!
Pedro

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 25 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 08/25/2020 8:07 PM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>
>> If you start AOO in a shell with "soffice", does that give some information?
>
> Didn't think about that :)
>
> /opt/openoffice4/program/javaldx: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/openoffice4/program/libgcc_s.so.1: invalid ELF header
> /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/openoffice4/program/libgcc_s.so.1: invalid ELF header

I configure with --with-system-stdlibs

Success!!! [Was Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]]

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Don, Matthias, all

> On 08/26/2020 6:09 AM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:

> I just updated AOO418 with the fix.  You should be able to successfully
> build and run --without-system-stdlibs.

I have successfully compiled 418 under Ubuntu 18.04 x64 (without any system-stdlibs switch, which I assume defaults to --without)

I installed on a separate machine (also running Ubuntu 18.04 x64) and checking for updated and extensions is working flawlessly AND editing files through WebDAV is working again as expected!

Thank you very much to both for the fixes and feedback!

This is a Good Day! :)

Kind regards,
Pedro

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 27 Aug, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> Am 26.08.20 um 03:55 schrieb Don Lewis:
>>> That file is in the shared library search path.  When you try to start a
>>> program, it is being found instead of the correct shared library file
>>> under /lib, causing the runtime linker to blow a gasket.

>> I dug into this a bit more.  It turns out that the bogus copy of
>> libgcc_s.so.1 is a linker script and not a shared library.   Linker
>> scripts are a failrly new thing, which is why we haven't run into this
>> before.  The build code that is grabbing this file was removed from
>> trunk and AOO42X a few years ago, which is why you didn't see the
>> problem with those versions.  I've cherry-picked the fix and will push
>> it to AOO418 after I've had a chance to test it.
>
> Great!
>
> Then we can set this issue (i104495 - libstdc++ removal) to
> resolved/fixed now?

I guess so, though I haven't tested the KDE bits.

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Don,

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 25 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 08/25/2020 8:07 PM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>
>> If you start AOO in a shell with "soffice", does that give some information?
>
> Didn't think about that :)
>
> /opt/openoffice4/program/javaldx: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/openoffice4/program/libgcc_s.so.1: invalid ELF header
> /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/openoffice4/program/libgcc_s.so.1: invalid ELF header

Try deleting /opt/openoffice4/program/libgcc_s.so.1
For some reason that bogus file is getting packaged by your build.  I'm
not seeing that happen here:
$ ls /opt/openoffice4/program/libg*
/opt/openoffice4/program/libgcc3_uno.so
/opt/openoffice4/program/libguesslang.so

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Matthias

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Don

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Don

> On 08/24/2020 4:58 PM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:

> The actual error should show up as "error: " in the build output.

The error messages and compiling stop at a completely different step on each run even if I do a dmake clean and repeat the exact same 3 steps.

Adding --enable-verbose did not make messages clearer

Thank you for your patience and assistance but this seems like a random task and I have no idea what I'm doing :(

Thank you anyway!

Best,
Pedro

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 24 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Hi Don, all
>
>> On 08/24/2020 3:18 PM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Is this a parallel build?
>
> Switched to single thread building
>
> build --all
>
> when it stopped I followed the suggestion by Rigo and deleted
> /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>
> and restarted with build --all:icu
>
> Now it stopped again at
>
> In file included from /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/inc/boost/shared_array.hpp:17:0,
>                  from ../inc/basebmp/bitmapdevice.hxx:32,
>                  from /source/openoffice/main/basebmp/source/bitmapdevice.cxx:28:
> /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/inc/boost/smart_ptr/shared_array.hpp:177:37: warning: mangled name for ‘void boost::shared_array<T>::reset(Y*, D) [with Y = unsigned char; D = void (*)(void*) throw (); T = unsigned char]’ will change in C++17 because the exception specification is part of a function type [-Wnoexcept-type]
>      template<class Y, class D> void reset( Y * p, D d )
>                                      ^~~~~
> dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../unxlngx6.pro/slo/bitmapdevice.obj'
>
> 1 module(s):
> 	basebmp
> need(s) to be rebuilt
>
> Reason(s):
>
> ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making /source/openoffice/main/basebmp/source
>
> When you have fixed the errors in that module you can resume the build by running:
>
> 	build --all:basebmp
>
> Ideas?

This looks like just a warning:
77:37: warning: mangled name for ‘void boost::shared_array<T>::reset(Y*, D)
[with Y = unsigned char; D = void (*)(void*) throw (); T = unsigned char]’
will change in C++17
and from the warning it looks like the -std=gnu++98 fix isn't taking
effect.  basebmp hasn't been converted to gbuild in AOO418, so the fix
should be in solenv/inc/unxlng.mk.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 24 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Hi Don, all
>
>> On 08/24/2020 3:18 PM Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Is this a parallel build?
>
> Switched to single thread building
>
> build --all
>
> when it stopped I followed the suggestion by Rigo and deleted
> /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>
> and restarted with build --all:icu
>
> Now it stopped again at
>
> In file included from /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/inc/boost/shared_array.hpp:17:0,
>                  from ../inc/basebmp/bitmapdevice.hxx:32,
>                  from /source/openoffice/main/basebmp/source/bitmapdevice.cxx:28:
> /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/inc/boost/smart_ptr/shared_array.hpp:177:37: warning: mangled name for ‘void boost::shared_array<T>::reset(Y*, D) [with Y = unsigned char; D = void (*)(void*) throw (); T = unsigned char]’ will change in C++17 because the exception specification is part of a function type [-Wnoexcept-type]
>      template<class Y, class D> void reset( Y * p, D d )
>                                      ^~~~~
> dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../unxlngx6.pro/slo/bitmapdevice.obj'
>
> 1 module(s):
> 	basebmp
> need(s) to be rebuilt
>
> Reason(s):
>
> ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making /source/openoffice/main/basebmp/source
>
> When you have fixed the errors in that module you can resume the build by running:
>
> 	build --all:basebmp
>
> Ideas?

You might want to configure with --enable-verbose so that you can see
the compiler command line as each file is compiled.  That will show all
the options passed to the compiler.

Re: Spurious file libgcc_s.so.1 during Linux build [Was: OpenSSL versions]

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Don, all

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Ciao Rigo

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello All,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 12:13:49PM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:

> On 21 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
> > Hi Don
> >
> >> Hmn, I don't know about the extras failure, but all of the other errors
> >> are failures to build various third party packages that we bundle. This
> >> should be independent of the CXXFLAGS issue.  More of the output of
> >>   build --from python
> >> might be informative.
> >
> > Did a Dmake clean and the problem now starts on icu so here is the output below
> >
> > #######
> >
> > build --from icu
> > build -- version: 275224

[...]

> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:../stubdata:../tools/ctestfw:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH  ../bin/icupkg -d ./out/build/icudt40l --list -x \* ./in/icudt40l.dat > out/tmp/icudata.lst
> > ../bin/icupkg: error while loading shared libraries: /source/openoffice/main/solver/418/unxlngx6.pro/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: invalid ELF header
> > Makefile:350: recipe for target 'out/tmp/icudata.lst' failed
> > make[1]: *** [out/tmp/icudata.lst] Error 127
> > make[1]: Leaving directory '/source/openoffice/main/icu/unxlngx6.pro/misc/build/icu/source/data'
> > Makefile:103: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
> > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 2
> > dmake:  Error code 2, while making './unxlngx6.pro/misc/build/so_built_so_icu'

[...]

--
rigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 20.08.20 um 21:08 schrieb Don Lewis:
> On 20 Aug, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Don,

>>> Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
>>> trunk/AOO42X?
>> Yes, please.
>>
>>> That version is "new" enough and has proven to be stable.
>> Here is the version history:
>>
>> 3.4: openssl-0.9.8o
>> 4.0: openssl-0.9.8o
>> 4.1.0: openssl-0.9.8zg
>> 4.1.6: openssl-0.9.8zh
>>
>> 42X: openssl-1.0.2t
>>
>> A general question as we triage the update services bug,
>>
>> Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?
> Not that I'm aware of.
>
> The FreeBSD port uses system OpenSSL, but the port is compiled and
> packaged for each OS release.

The version for OS/2 uses system OpenSSL (currently 1.0.2t)

But they don't use AOO online update...

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Surprising numbers!

Regarding FreeBSD:
Does it make sense to check for updates?
The OS/2 version is being built with --disable-online-update. That
removes the entry in the menu and the options page.

Regards,

   Matthias

BTW: We have still about 1,5 million downloads in a month.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Dave,

Am 21.08.20 um 00:17 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>> On Aug 20, 2020, at 3:15 PM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Am 21.08.20 um 00:09 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> Hi Matthias and Jim,
>>>
>>> We need 4.1.8 to cherry pick openssl 1.0.1 from 4.2.
>> Isn't it 1.0.2t?
> Yes, at least ...
>
>> But I am not a developer, simple cherry-picking did not work for me...
>>
>> BTW: For 1.0.2t we need NASM for the Windows build. Works for
>> trunk/AOO42X, shouldn't be a problem for 4.1.8.
> If we don’t make the change then it won’t be until 4.2.0 that we can maneuver to fix the Update Checks.

I know, but if I could do it it would have been done long ago...

Maybe Jim can, or Don, or Ariel has time?

Really, I am just an "advanced" user, despite all my (mostly cosmetic)
commits. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Don,

Am 21.08.20 um 21:10 schrieb Don Lewis:
> On 21 Aug, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> Can you open a Pull Request on GitHub with the patch to upgrade OpenSSL?
>>
>> I can test it on Windows with 4.1.8.
> Pull request created.

Thanks!

I will do a Windows build and see if the online update gets through.
Of course it will only tell that there is no new version... ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Don,

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 23.08.20 um 00:32 schrieb Don Lewis:
> On 23 Aug, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> Finished my Windows builds and AOO 4.1.8 can connect to both, AOO
>> updates and Extension updates.
> Cool.  I'll go ahead and merge the pull request.

I will start a new Test build with more languages then.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 23.08.20 um 01:51 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Hi -
>
> This is excellent. I’ve been investigating the code.

My Windows Test builds are up (incl. openSSL1.0.2t):

https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-418-Test/

> The services are called from main/extensions/source/update/check/download.cxx using Curl.
>
> To fully confirm the fix the next step is to check into curl dependencies:
>
> https://curl.haxx.se/docs/libs.html
>
> OpenSSL is one of Curl’s TLS providers.
>
> Judging from the config.log files from past releases in https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/ which only go back to 4.1.2.
>
> (1) Mac versions of AOO since 4.1.2 are built using the SYSTEM_OPENSSL=“YES” which should explain why we are getting update checks from many or most of our user’s Mac installations.
>
> (2) Our released versions of Linux and Windows have SYSTEM_OPENSSL=“NO”. It could be that the handful of versions that do work were compiled from source with SYSTEM_OPENSSL=“YES”.
>
> Does this make sense?

I am not sure, Windows has no SYSTEM_OPENSSL. Of course people could
have edited the URL but why would they stay on an old version then?

I had one week when AOO on Ubuntu could connect to the server, then it
broke again. Something changed on the way from my computer to the update
feed...

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Don,

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Dave,

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi Matthias and Jim,

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Don

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 20 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Hi Don
>
>> Try patching solenv/inc/unxlng.mk and solenv/gbuild/platform/linux.mk to
>> add "-std=gnu++98" to CFLAGSCXX.  I recommend doing this for 4.2.0 and
>> trunk as well.
>
> I have no idea how to do that... I'm just an advanced user ;)
> I can compile branch 4.2.x without problems (haven't tried trunk). My problem is with branch 4.1.8...
>
>> Newer versions of gcc default to compiling with more
>> modern C++ standards and spew lots of warnings about old C++ stuff in
>> our code.  Telling the compiler to use an older C++ standard that is
>> more compatible with our code base will greatly reduce the
>> warnings/errors.
>
> Yes, that seems to be the problem. Too many errors :)

Save the patch below to a file 'patchfile' an apply it to the source
with
  patch -p1 patchfile
or just do the edits by hand.

diff --git a/main/solenv/gbuild/platform/linux.mk b/main/solenv/gbuild/platform/linux.mk
index 0a23a43f37..6ab0b336de 100644
--- a/main/solenv/gbuild/platform/linux.mk
+++ b/main/solenv/gbuild/platform/linux.mk
@@ -96,6 +96,7 @@ gb_CXXFLAGS := \
 	-fuse-cxa-atexit \
 	-fvisibility-inlines-hidden \
 	-fvisibility=hidden \
+	-std=gnu++98 \
 	-pipe \

 ifneq ($(EXTERNAL_WARNINGS_NOT_ERRORS),TRUE)
diff --git a/main/solenv/inc/unxlng.mk b/main/solenv/inc/unxlng.mk
index 032f013564..f757ef14fb 100644
--- a/main/solenv/inc/unxlng.mk
+++ b/main/solenv/inc/unxlng.mk
@@ -84,7 +84,7 @@ CFLAGSEXCEPTIONS=-fexceptions -fno-enforce-eh-specs
 CFLAGS_NO_EXCEPTIONS=-fno-exceptions

 # -fpermissive should be removed as soon as possible
-CFLAGSCXX= -pipe $(ARCH_FLAGS)
+CFLAGSCXX= -pipe $(ARCH_FLAGS) -std=gnu++98
 .IF "$(HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY_FEATURE)" == "TRUE"
 CFLAGSCXX += -fvisibility-inlines-hidden
 .ENDIF # "$(HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY_FEATURE)" == "TRUE"

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Don

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 20 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
>> > Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
>> > trunk/AOO42X?
>>
>> Yes, please.
>
> Thank you!
>
>> Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?
>
> Does Windows have a system openssl? :)

Nope.

> Looking forward to a new Linux x64 4.1.8 build (I can't build it with Ubuntu 18.04 :( )

Try patching solenv/inc/unxlng.mk and solenv/gbuild/platform/linux.mk to
add "-std=gnu++98" to CFLAGSCXX.  I recommend doing this for 4.2.0 and
trunk as well.  Newer versions of gcc default to compiling with more

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Dave

> > Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
> > trunk/AOO42X?
>
> Yes, please.

Thank you!

Re: OpenSSL versions

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 10:38:23 -0700
Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Don,

> >> The version of openssl used by 4.1.7 is seriously out of date and
> >> doesn't support recent versions of TLS.
> >
> > Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
> > trunk/AOO42X?
>
> Yes, please.
>

> > That version is "new" enough and has proven to be stable.
>
> Here is the version history:
>
> 3.4: openssl-0.9.8o
> 4.0: openssl-0.9.8o
> 4.1.0: openssl-0.9.8zg
> 4.1.6: openssl-0.9.8zh
>
> 42X: openssl-1.0.2t
>
> A general question as we triage the update services bug,
>
> Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?
>
> Regards,
> Dave

For information: I am using Xubuntu (64 bit) 20.04.1 updated to today; openssl is shown as 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>