Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jose Francisco Junior <jj...@zipmail.com> on 2002/08/08 18:56:51 UTC

SSL Session x Non SSL Session Problem

Hi everyone,

I am trying to authenticate users using a SSL connection
 and after the authentication I forward the request to an
 Non-SSL connection but the session object is invalidated.

How can I solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Junior

Re: SSL Session x Non SSL Session Problem

Posted by Jean-francois Arcand <je...@sun.com>.

Jose Francisco Junior wrote:

>Please,
>
>Does anybody know anything about the problem below !!!
>
>I can't share an session object that was instatiated on a
> SSL connection with a NON SSL connection.
>
>I am trying to authenticate users using a SSL connection
> and after the authentication I forward the request to an
> Non-SSL connection but the session object is invalidated.
>
>How can I solve this problem ?

The only solution I recommend is to use SSL for all connections (or not
use at all). The ID associated with the SSL session will certainly not
the same as the one created without SSL (how is the Principal (user,
password) get passed. If it was, how can you differenciate an
authenticated user?

-- Jeanfrancois

>Thanks in advance,
>Junior

Jean-Francois Arcand
Java and XML Software, Sun Microsystems
450.224.475

Re: SSL Session x Non SSL Session Problem

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Jose Francisco Junior wrote:

> Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 15:39:16 -0400
> From: Jose Francisco Junior <jj...@zipmail.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: SSL Session x Non SSL Session Problem
>
> Please,
>
> Does anybody know anything about the problem below !!!
>
> I can't share an session object that was instatiated on a
>  SSL connection with a NON SSL connection.
>
> I am trying to authenticate users using a SSL connection
>  and after the authentication I forward the request to an
>  Non-SSL connection but the session object is invalidated.
>
> How can I solve this problem ?

You really really really don't want to do that.

Once you switch back to non-SSL, the session id would be transmitted in
cleartext -- so anyone snooping on your network connection could easily
impersonate you.  If the user's password is sensitive enough to protect,
the whole session should be as well.  Otherwise, you'll just live under an
illusion of security.

> Thanks in advance,
> Junior

Craig