Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Charles Roger SIMEU <cr...@yahoo.fr> on 2014/11/09 06:01:47 UTC

Database Rollback

Hello,

I have some question about VCL

Some time image creation or update failed and i have seen in some posts that one can change the request.stateid from 10 (maintenance) to 16 (image) instead of relauching image capture, after the problem causing failure have been solved.

why can't you consider wrapping the image creation / update process in a "database transaction" in order to give the possibilities to vcl admin/user to make a rollback or a commit on vcl database? This should be better than directly modifing database in a production environement.

Regars

Charles Roger Simeu

Montréal (Québec)

Re: Database Rollback

Posted by Charles Roger SIMEU <cr...@yahoo.fr>.
Hello,

Thank to Aaron and Josh for the answer.

This should be a good feature for the next release.

Charles Roger Simeu

Montréal (Québec)

 Objet: Re: Database Rollback
 À: user@vcl.apache.org
 Date: Lundi 10 novembre 2014, 10h24

 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED
 MESSAGE-----

 Charles,

 What
 Aaron mentioned is a feature added in the upcoming 2.4
 release.

 Josh

 On Monday, November 10, 2014
 9:56:21 AM Aaron Peeler wrote:
 > Hello
 Charles,

 > Welcome
 to the list.  While I can't help much on the
 translation work.
 > I can help on other
 things.

 > On the
 dashboard page at the bottom, there is a restart image
 capture
 > button for any failed
 reservations. As you mentioned, once the problem
 > was solved.
 >
 > Yes, we are trying to do as much as
 possible through the VCL web
 > interface
 to avoid direct interaction with the database.

 at 12:01 AM, Charles Roger SIMEU <cr...@yahoo.fr>

 wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I have
 some question about VCL

 > > Some time image creation or update
 failed and i have seen in some posts

 > that one can change the request.stateid from 10
 (maintenance) to 16
 > > (image)
 instead of relauching image capture, after the problem
 causing
 > > failure have been
 solved.

 why can't you consider wrapping the image creation /
 update process in a
 > > "database
 transaction" in order to give the possibilities to
 vcl
 > > admin/user to make a rollback
 or a commit on vcl database? This should be
 > > better than directly modifing
 database in a production environement.

 > > Regars
 >

 > > Charles Roger Simeu
 > >
 > > Montréal
 (Québec)
 - --
 -
 -------------------------------
 Josh
 Thompson
 VCL Developer
 North
 Carolina State University

 my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

 All electronic mail messages in connection with
 State business which
 are sent to or received
 by this account are subject to the NC Public
 Records Law and may be disclosed to third
 parties.
 -----BEGIN PGP
 SIGNATURE-----
 Version: GnuPG v2.0.22
 (GNU/Linux)

 iEYEARECAAYFAlRg2K0ACgkQV/LQcNdtPQNeDQCfeqpP39HcdmcaydzAFZ7B55tq
 cOUAniCqoWPXu6ggLixDMbEElLxCtpHZ
 =WvwG
 -----END PGP
 SIGNATURE-----

Re: Database Rollback

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

On Monday, November 10, 2014 9:56:21 AM Aaron Peeler wrote:
> Hello Charles,
>
> Welcome to the list.  While I can't help much on the translation work.
> I can help on other things.
>
> On the dashboard page at the bottom, there is a restart image capture
> button for any failed reservations. As you mentioned, once the problem
> was solved.
>
> Yes, we are trying to do as much as possible through the VCL web
> interface to avoid direct interaction with the database.
>
> Aaron
>
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Charles Roger SIMEU <cr...@yahoo.fr>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have some question about VCL
> >
> > Some time image creation or update failed and i have seen in some posts
> > that one can change the request.stateid from 10 (maintenance) to 16
> > (image) instead of relauching image capture, after the problem causing
> > failure have been solved.
> >
> > why can't you consider wrapping the image creation / update process in a
> > "database transaction" in order to give the possibilities to vcl
> > admin/user to make a rollback or a commit on vcl database? This should be
> > better than directly modifing database in a production environement.
> >
> > Regars
> >
> > Charles Roger Simeu
> >
> > Montréal (Québec)
- --