Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Chris Todd <ct...@alabanza.com> on 2000/08/29 03:51:12 UTC

GUI tool for writing/creating ant makefiles?

Hello all-

I recently discovered both ant (what a GREAT tool!) and jEdit (a very nice
editor), and I'm posting these questions to both mailing lists because they
are inter-related.

While I have found ant to be a great tool for simplifying the development
process, I have to admit I've never much enjoyed writing XML files by hand.
;-)

Xeena is a great way to create XML files in a sort of drag-n-drop GUI, but
it requires that there be a DTD to work from, and there isn't a DTD for ant
makefiles.

So I was wondering if anyone on this list had a particular preference for a
GUI-based XML editor to use for ant makefiles.  Or does everyone use vi?
;-)

I was also wondering whether anyone was working on an ant GUI?  Since there
are a fixed number of options that can be used in ant makefiles, I would
guess you could create a GUI that has radio buttons and checkboxes and text
boxes and file selectors and the like for the various options in an ant
makefile.  Such a GUI would seem to be a natural candidate as a plugin for
jEdit, perhaps integrated with Kevin Burton's jCompiler and ProjectViewer
plugins.  Any thoughts/comments/flames?  ;-)

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd
Software Engineer
Alabanza Corporation
ctodd@alabanza.com

how to call MS SignCode from ant?

Posted by Gene Margolin <gm...@futuresource.com>.
To finish our building process (WinNT 4 SP5) for our java projects
we need to create and sign jar-files (for Netscape) and cab-files (for MS IE).
I can call Netscape signing tools doing this stuff both from the build file
and from a bat-file without any problem. We have passwords both for
Netscape and IE certificates. This password can be passed to
Netscape signing tools as a parameter in the command line.
Unfortunately, I cannot find the possibility to pass the password
to MS signing tool SignCode (from Win SDK). The only way is
to type that password inside the SignCode dialog window. Of course,
it's impossible (or difficult ) to do it from ant or even from a bat-file.
Anyway, I don't want to use some hack.
Could you give me an advice what should I do?

Thanks.

Gene.

Re: build depending on dependencies

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com>.
At 09:04  31/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Is it possible in ant to compile only those java-files on which
>some specific file or package depends (e.g. as JBuilder does )?
>Recursive compiling of all packages significantly increases
>the size of products.

umm - well that sorta does happen. The problem is that some compilers are
broken (javac). Even the un-broken compiler jikes on full dependancy checks
doesn't check all dependancies. Code that is optimized out completely

ie.
if( !Blah.VAR )
{
  ///do something
}

where Blah.VAR is a static final variable defined as false

will not be taken into account for dependancy checks - other than a few
other rare circumstances that should do it.

Make sure you put the following things in build file

  <property name="build.compiler" value="jikes"/>
  <property name="build.compiler.emacs" value="on"/>
  <property name="build.compiler.warnings" value="true"/>
  <property name="build.compiler.pedantic" value="true"/>
  <property name="build.compiler.depend" value="true"/>

Make sure you get jikes =) and also make sure your package structure
matches directory structure.

ie so if your source directory is "src/" and you have a class in package
"com.biz" then it should be in directory "src/com/biz". If you do all of
that and are still having issues - email back and I will see what else
needs doing :P

Cheers,

Pete

build depending on dependencies

Re: delete file

Posted by Gene Margolin <gm...@futuresource.com>.
My ant does not understand -version option.
So, I think, It's of a very old version :).
Where can I get the last one?

RE: delete file

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Gene,

Re: delete file

Posted by Gene Margolin <gm...@futuresource.com>.
The stack trace:

RE: delete file

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@m64.com>.
Gene,

delete file

Re: GUI tool for writing/creating ant makefiles?

Posted by Mark Rose <ma...@gforce.com>.
Chris Todd wrote:

> Xeena is a great way to create XML files in a sort of drag-n-drop GUI, but
> it requires that there be a DTD to work from, and there isn't a DTD for ant
> makefiles.

Chris,

There is a DTD available for Ant build scripts--the base tasks--that's
referenced in the FAQ. If you can't find the URL, let me know.

(I have mixed feelings about Xeena. It's good, but not for our XML
stuff, since it becomes unusable after you get a few hundred elements in
the XML file. It also takes forever to parse a large DTD. All-in-all a
good tool, but only good for small/medium sized projects.)

Mark
--
Mark Rose                     gForce
408.213.2211                  Enterprise eLearning Solutions

                              http://www.gforce.com

Re: jUnit task for ant?

Posted by Christopher Elkins <ce...@scardini.com>.
> I seem to recall seeing someplace that the most recent versions of ant
> included a jUnit taskdef, but now I can't seem to find any reference to
> this, either in the source or the docs.  Was I simply imagining this?

No, you weren't.

doc:
http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/jakarta-ant/docs/junit.html?rev=1.5&c
ontent-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

source:
http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools
/ant/taskdefs/optional/junit/

--
Christopher Elkins

Re: is attribute order important to ant?

Posted by Christopher Elkins <ce...@scardini.com>.
> Are the following two tags equivalent from ant's perspective (will it parse
> both of them properly)?
>
> <copyfile src="test.java" dest="subdir/test.java" />
> <copyfile dest="subdir/test.java" src="test.java" />

Yes, although this is due to the properties of XML not specifically Ant.

--
Christopher Elkins

is attribute order important to ant?

jUnit task for ant?

Posted by Julian Coombes <ju...@intelligentwave.com>.
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> I am currently writing such a GUI for ant.
> I will publish an early version as soon as the concept works.
>
> Bye
> 	Frank O. Laus

This is brilliant!, I'm working on a project using Jedit and Ant as the
primary development tools basically because it gives us an open source,
cross platform development environment. It also means I can use Linux rather
than NT and no-one can complain :-).

Julian.

Re: GUI tool for writing/creating ant makefiles?

Posted by "Frank O. Laus" <la...@uni-muenster.de>.
Chris Todd wrote:

> I was also wondering whether anyone was working on an ant GUI?  Since there
> are a fixed number of options that can be used in ant makefiles, I would
> guess you could create a GUI that has radio buttons and checkboxes and text
> boxes and file selectors and the like for the various options in an ant
> makefile.
I am currently writing such a GUI for ant.
I will publish an early version as soon as the concept works.

Bye
	Frank O. Laus

--

Frank O. Laus