Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Yassen Damyanov <yd...@troyer.co.at> on 2004/12/13 20:27:50 UTC

SA RBL checks do NOT work

Hi all,

spamassassin v. 2.64 used via amavisd-new (postfix MTA),
Gentoo Linux box.

The RBL checks do NOT work:

debug: RBL: success for 0 of 22 queries
debug: RBL: timeout for sblxbl after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for njabl-notfirsthop,njabl after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for sblxbl-notfirsthop,sblxbl after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for sorbs-notfirsthop,sorbs after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for sblxbl-notfirsthop,sblxbl after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for njabl after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for sorbs after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for sorbs-notfirsthop,sorbs after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for njabl-notfirsthop,njabl after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for rfci-dsn after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for rfci after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for rfci after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for bsp-firsttrusted after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for bsp-untrusted after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for spamcop after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for spamcop after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for dsbl after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for rfci after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for bsp-untrusted after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for dsbl after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for spamcop after 15 seconds
debug: RBL: timeout for dsbl after 15 seconds

the local.cf (/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf) has that enabled, so
is the amavisd-new config. (Find below the relevant config lines).

One more note: the mail server is part of a private net behind a firewall
and its outgoing connections are masquaraded by the firewall.

Any suggestions on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Yassen

--

Yassen Damyanov
Troyer Information Systems

phone: +359-32-968-903
email: yd@troyer.co.at
ICQ# : 169382108
web  : www.troyer-is.com

---------------------

# cat /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf | sed -n -e '/^[\t ]*#\|^[\t ]*$/!p'
trusted_networks        127.0.0.
required_hits           6.8
rewrite_subject         1
subject_tag             [SPAM?]
report_safe             1
use_terse_report        0
use_bayes               0
auto_learn              0
skip_rbl_checks         0
use_razor2              1
use_dcc                 1
use_pyzor               1
ok_languages            de en
ok_locales              de en

# cat /etc/amavisd.conf | sed -n -e '/^[\t ]*\$sa/p'
$sa_local_tests_only = 0;
$sa_auto_whitelist = 0;
$sa_timeout = 30;
$sa_mail_body_size_limit = 150*1024;
$sa_tag_level_deflt  = -99.0;
$sa_tag2_level_deflt = 4.2;
$sa_kill_level_deflt = 5.8;
$sa_dsn_cutoff_level = 10.0;
$sa_spam_subject_tag = '[SPAM?] ';
$sa_debug = 1;

-- eof --

Re: SA RBL checks do NOT work

Posted by Yassen Damyanov <yd...@troyer.co.at>.
Matt: thanks a lot for your reply.

On Monday 13 December 2004 22:28, you wrote:

> Start off by making sure the system can do DNS lookups at all..
>
> $ host www.spamassassin.org
> www.spamassassin.org has address 209.237.227.195

DNS lookup surely works (tested again for any case -- fine).

> If your box can't resolve DNS queries, then SA won't be able to, no matter
> how it tries. If it fails, try looking at your /etc/resolv.conf, and your
> firewall settings. The firewall shouldn't be a problem but it could be if
> you've misconfigured it.

I have this rule for masquerading outgoing connections:

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
MASQUERADE  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

This indeed lets the mail box do anything else like accessing
pyzor, razor, dcc ... all that works. RBL checks fail -- weird.

Any further suggestions? I'll appreciate any -- thanks!

Yassen

Re: SA RBL checks do NOT work

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.