Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com> on 2023/02/20 12:14:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] arrow/arrow2 path forward

There has been a significant amount of discussion in the past on this list
about the relationship between the two major Rust implementations of
Apache Arrow (arrow-rs and arrow2).

Recently, the communities seem to be aligning on a path towards
unification, and I wanted to make sure anyone on the mailing list who was
interested had a chance to participate in the conversation [1].

The path appears to involve bringing arrow2 into the ASF (via the standard
IP clearance process) and then unifying with arrow-rs  with a
straightforward migration path for most users.

Andrew

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow-rs/issues/1176

Re: [DISCUSS] arrow/arrow2 path forward

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.
Great to see, thank you for bringing it to the attention of the wider
community.