Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org> on 2007/08/15 12:02:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Unexpected/Unwanted DNS lookups

Steve Swift wrote:

> We don't use reverse DNS in our error logs, so I'm wondering what else
> might be calling on DNS services?
>
> We've now fixed the DNS issues, so this is something of an
> intellectual exercise, but there is always the response time bonus of
> eliminating the DNS calls to consider.

If you trace what is being looked up, it might give you a clue to where
the queries are coming from.  Turn on query logging or use tcpdump.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

[users@httpd] Re: Re: Unexpected/Unwanted DNS lookups

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Steve Swift wrote:

> I'm asking my system admin to setup some sort of trace right now. We
> don't have a DNS service on our own system, so tracing that will be a
> little tricky, I think.
> I may see if we can run our own caching DNS, if only for a while.

How about running tcpdump on destination port 53 on the system where
you've got apache running?

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Unexpected/Unwanted DNS lookups

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.