Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Paulo Alvim <al...@powerlogic.com.br> on 2004/04/14 01:10:40 UTC

RES: [struts] Re: [OT] Compression Filter

Hi Niall,

Did you measure the ration between "processor overhead (to compress) x
bandwith gains"? I'd like to have an idea if it would be good in general...

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Firstly I have to say we haven't yet deployed it yet. I did dig into it to
try and find if I could output some statistics on how much bandwidth the
compression was saving, but I got lost and gave up ;-) We have a number of
sites who don't have great connections and testing with them the improvement
in speed of pages was big. Processor overhead isn't something I really have
to worry about with the nunber of users on my system. We are defintely going
to deploy it though.

There is a threshold parameter you set (compressionThreshold), which is the
number of bytes (I think minimum is 128) - below which it doesn't compress,
we currently have it set to 512 - so if your worried about processor
overhead you can play with that so that its only larger pages which get
compressed.