Posted to dev@kibble.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2018/10/01 08:42:51 UTC

Update from CHAOSS GMD Meeting 26th September 2018

Hi Everyone

Last week I attended the CHAOSS Growth, Maturity and Decline (GMD) workgroup call. I had an action point to talk about how we could incorporate examples of the Kibble as  one of the known implementations of various metrics without using a Jupyter notebook.

The response was Use Cases and /or clear English descriptions. We could include a screenshot of an implemented metric and would also need to specify how Kibble has implemented it.  As an example we talked about counting code commits.

Their first example how to count of code commits looks like this:

https://s.apache.org/u2GO

Notice that in this implementation, certain types of commits are ignored (eg empty etc).

Our example would provide details of how Kibble is currently calculating this same metric. We would need to write a basic explanation of how Kibble calcuates commits to see if it is the same or different to thisexisting example. (NOTE just because it may be different doesn’t automatically mean that it is wrong).  Ideally any differences we come across will generate feedback on the definition of the metric and also trigger more GMD workgroup discussions.

So please can anyone point me to the logic for calculating the code commits (what is included, excluded) ? Then we can try to put together a clear description of it and add it as another example of an implementation of a CHAOSS metric.

As always, comments and feedback welcome.

Thanks
Sharan