Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Rev. Mark Grant" <ma...@unicorn.com> on 1995/10/19 17:48:47 UTC

Crypto export from the UK

The simple answer seems to be a) noone's entirely sure and b) noone's ever
been hassled over it, AFAIK. There are a specific list of countries that
it is definitely illegal to export it to (places like Libya, Iraq, etc),
but it's somewhat debatable as to whether you can legally export to
anywhere else. Whatever the case, there's a big ftp site at ftp.ox.ac.uk
which has been there for years with no problems, so your friend could
upload it to there and let them take any flak from the government.

I suspect the true answer is that it's probably illegal (at least to
export to non-NATO countries), but the government have much more important
things to worry about.. I suspect if they did take someone to court over
crypto export, they'd just be laughed at and the case would be kicked out.

	Mark

--
sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
Community ConneXion				FAX:	 510-601-9734