Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Evert van Grootheest <j....@euronext.nl> on 2003/08/28 14:04:47 UTC

client-server compatibility

Hello,

now with this schema change in 0.28, could someone please elaborate on
the compatibility of a client with a server running on/within apache
(using DAV)?
More specifically, is client 0.26 compatible with server 0.28?

Thanks,
Jan Evert

Re: client-server compatibility

Posted by Gustavo Niemeyer <ni...@conectiva.com>.
> now with this schema change in 0.28, could someone please elaborate on
> the compatibility of a client with a server running on/within apache
> (using DAV)? More specifically, is client 0.26 compatible with server
> 0.28?

We're currently running 0.27, and I remember we had some incompatibility
problems with some old clients using the server of 0.27. I don't
remember if they were 0.26 or some older version though.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

Re: client-server compatibility

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jan Evert van Grootheest <j....@euronext.nl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> now with this schema change in 0.28, could someone please elaborate on
> the compatibility of a client with a server running on/within apache
> (using DAV)?
> More specifically, is client 0.26 compatible with server 0.28?

Our compatibility policy has not changed:

   http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#interop

   "The client and server are designed to work as long as they aren't
   more than one major release version apart. (For example, a 0.25.X
   client will talk to a 0.24.X or 0.26.X server.)"

The database schema change is only within the *database*.  We haven't
changed the DAV network protocol at all in 0.28.

Re: client-server compatibility

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Jan Evert van Grootheest <j....@euronext.nl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> now with this schema change in 0.28, could someone please elaborate
> on the compatibility of a client with a server running on/within
> apache (using DAV)?  More specifically, is client 0.26 compatible
> with server 0.28?

Umm... I don't believe that there were any compatibility issues
between those two.  However, you should be aware that we only
(currently) guarantee compatibility across a single minor revision.