Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Alef Arendsen <al...@smarthaven.com> on 2002/02/01 15:19:15 UTC

RE: [ot] J2EE considered harmful

I used to see J2EE and EJBs as the perfect solution to build scalable, maintainable webapplications. Our companies has been moving away from the webapplications business and we're completely focussing on delivering knowledge management components (including some integration stuff). The initial idea to focus strongly on the fact that we were doing EJB and using a good development process (yeah, I'm drifting off topic, but that's not going to take long), quickly dissappeared. The market isn't asking for it!

So far Suns nice intentions of putting an industry standard to work.

What's left in my opinion is the vendor lock-in (how do you call that, I'm not a native English speaker), something you absolutely DO NOT have with EJBs. The second advantage of EJBs is just a time saver. We want to focus on language identification, taxonomy based categorization and things a like, and NOT on developing a server platform.

Ok, EJBs isn't that up to my standards anymore, but still, I couldn't not do it any better, without ignoring the deadline, the investors gave us ;-).

But yeah, Tim Hyde (I believe) said it correctly: 'Overall, it is Java *not* living up to its early promise.'. And not only when it comes to J2EE. Backward compatibility is a rapidly growing issue, new I/O is introduced, the core is growing and growing, the code base is messy as hell. JCP is not working at all.

So what's the score? DotNet is the new Microsoft initiative, and - as always - they've perfectly imitated J2EE and have had a good look at all J2EE's pitfalls. USed J2EE as a basis and extended it in a very very very good way (ok, little bit devil's advocate here). So maybe that's the next thing.

--> Java will stay, languages never dissappear, and Java has even less chance to dissappear
----> on the other hand, J2EE, in my opinion, will get a hard time the coming year! A very hard time

RE: [ot] J2EE considered harmful

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 09:19, Alef Arendsen wrote:
> I used to see J2EE and EJBs as the perfect solution to build scalable, maintainable webapplications. Our companies has been moving away from the webapplications business and we're completely focussing on delivering knowledge management components (including some integration stuff). The initial idea to focus strongly on the fact that we were doing EJB and using a good development process (yeah, I'm drifting off topic, but that's not going to take long), quickly dissappeared. The market isn't asking for it!
>
> So far Suns nice intentions of putting an industry standard to work.
>
> What's left in my opinion is the vendor lock-in (how do you call that, I'm not a native English speaker), something you absolutely DO NOT have with EJBs. The second advantage of EJBs is just a time saver. We want to focus on language identification, taxonomy based categorization and things a like, and NOT on developing a server platform.
>
> Ok, EJBs isn't that up to my standards anymore, but still, I couldn't not do it any better, without ignoring the deadline, the investors gave us ;-).
>
> But yeah, Tim Hyde (I believe) said it correctly: 'Overall, it is Java *not* living up to its early promise.'. And not only when it comes to J2EE. Backward compatibility is a rapidly growing issue, new I/O is introduced, the core is growing and growing, the code base is messy as hell. JCP is not working at all.
>
> So what's the score? DotNet is the new Microsoft initiative, and - as always - they've perfectly imitated J2EE and have had a good look at all J2EE's pitfalls. USed J2EE as a basis and extended it in a very very very good way (ok, little bit devil's advocate here). So maybe that's the next thing.

Yeah, the catch is being tied to their unstable insecure platform.

"32-bit extensions to a 16-bit shell for an 8-bit operating system
originally designed for a 4-bit processor by a 2 bit company."  Sounds
great ;-)

> --> Java will stay, languages never dissappear, and Java has even less chance to dissappear
> ----> on the other hand, J2EE, in my opinion, will get a hard time the coming year! A very hard time

www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!

vote.