Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Bob Herrmann <bo...@jadn.com> on 2002/07/25 03:42:19 UTC

Stack Walking

I am working on a large project that has logging in a bunch
of classes.  Some classes define and call their own methods
for logging (so the log4j WrapperClass technique is ineffective.)

I would also like to takeover system.out and redirect it
through log4j (and possibly unroll the stack in a way that
is particular to my large project.)

Is there a way to get log4j to use my custom "stack walking
strategy?"   JDK1.4's logger allows you to specify the ClassName
and MethodName.  Something like that or, an interface that calls
my class to extract the "interesting" stack frame is what I
am searching for.

Cheers,
-bob