Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Steve Roth <st...@oracle.com> on 2013/08/23 17:43:46 UTC

Primary storage: does it make sense/is it valid to have it local/unshared?

Hi all,

I am looking at CloudStack for internal testing.   (ie not a production
environment -- HA is not required).    We have (2) KVM hypervisors in
our CS environment.

I'm curious if folks have ever placed primary storage directly on the
hypervisors (as opposed to a NAS).  I understand this would negate the
HA features, but I'm curious if there are other impacts.

The main driving reason for us is because our NAS is on a different
subnet than our hypervisors, so having primary storage on the NAS I
think would slow things significantly.

Is this a valid configuration?    All the docs seem to recommend primary
storage should be on a NAS.

If it is valid, is it possible to make it 'unshared' / hypervisor-specific?

I'm curious if anyone has done this before.

Thanks
-Steve

Re: Primary storage: does it make sense/is it valid to have it local/unshared?

Posted by Travis Graham <t...@tgraham.us>.
Hey Steve,

That's how it would work. If you create the local storage on the compute servers then that's the only server that has access to use it as Primary storage.

Nothing wrong with that setup, especially for testing. That's how we started our initial tests before setting up different hypervisor clusters and shared storage.

Travis