Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com> on 2003/04/11 17:36:34 UTC

Apache talking to two Tomcats manager

I am running into an issue that I cannot quite get my head around. I
have two apache 1.3.27 servers load balancing to 4 Tomcats on two
Solaris 8 servers. We are running into an issue where we want to be able
to access the apps and manager on an individual Tomcat instance.

So, I had the idea of setting up Apache/mod_jk on each individual Tomcat
server, but I am having trouble figuring out how to map a URL to an
individual Tomcat. Right now, you get out main app by going to
/servlets/servlet-name. How do I set it up so that an one can go to the
same URL but somehow route all those requests to Tomcat1 and another
request to Tomcat2? Vhosts based upon URL? I have two IPs on each
server; do I setup name based Vhosting on Apache and route those vhosts
to the respective tomcats?

Has anybody else come up with a solution to this?

Thanks,

Ben Ricker

--
Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>
Wellinx.com

Re: Apache talking to two Tomcats manager

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
You will want your site to have 5 virtual hosts:
www.cowbell.com
tomcat1.cowbell.com --> Point to tomcat 1
tomcat2.cowbell.com --> Point to tomcat 2
tomcat3.cowbell.com --> Point to tomcat 3
tomcat4.cowbell.com --> Point to tomcat 4

Keep tomcat[1-4] are hidden to the world. Then you can run the manager on any
tomcat.

This is also helpful to know when one your site is having "occasional
problems", you can easily debug it into a  single tomcat server.

-Tim