Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2003/02/14 19:09:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: my httpd.conf file

[Oops, I didn't realize you sent the httpd.conf to me personally, and not
to the list.  I understand why you did it, but it is something I strongly
discourage in general.  Here I am copying my answer to the list.]

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, CJ wrote:

> Here is my actual http.conf file. I did not want to
> post it to the user group.

Here you turn all Options off:

> <Directory />
> 	Options None
> </Directory>

Here you turn Indexes off, but it doesn't matter because all options where
off to begin with (see above):

> <Directory /www/>
> Options -Indexes
> </Directory>

Here you turn Indexes back on again:

> <Directory "/www/public">
>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> </Directory>

I don't see what the mystery is.

I'll repeat this for the third (or perhaps fourth) time:

If you want Indexes off and you can't figure out how to do it, start by
removing EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE of "Indexes" in EVERY SINGLE Options line
in httpd.conf.

Then if you want to selectively turn Indexes back on, you can carefully do
so.

Good luck.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: my httpd.conf file

Posted by CJ <un...@yahoo.com>.
OK I just removed the index option from the line you
said to. Being new to apache I did not realize that
was affecting the complete file. I thought it was just
that one line.
I thought the options in the individual directory
listing was the only control place.

It appears to be working as needed now.

Thank you all to those who offered advice and help.
Now on to other configuration challenges. Like virtual
web sites etc. :{)

CJ

--- Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
> [Oops, I didn't realize you sent the httpd.conf to
> me personally, and not
> to the list.  I understand why you did it, but it is
> something I strongly
> discourage in general.  Here I am copying my answer
> to the list.]
>
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, CJ wrote:
>
> > Here is my actual http.conf file. I did not want
> > post it to the user group.
>
> Here you turn all Options off:
>
> > <Directory />
> > 	Options None
> > </Directory>
>
> Here you turn Indexes off, but it doesn't matter
> because all options where
> off to begin with (see above):
>
> > <Directory /www/>
> > Options -Indexes
> > </Directory>
>
> Here you turn Indexes back on again:
>
> > <Directory "/www/public">
> >     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> > </Directory>
>
> I don't see what the mystery is.
>
> I'll repeat this for the third (or perhaps fourth)
> time:
>
> If you want Indexes off and you can't figure out how
> to do it, start by
> removing EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE of "Indexes" in EVERY
> SINGLE Options line
> in httpd.conf.
>
> Then if you want to selectively turn Indexes back
> on, you can carefully do
> so.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Joshua.

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> users-help@httpd.apache.org

=====
There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and
UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
Blessed are the pessimists, for they make backups!
Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
10101010011100101001001000011010000001000100101010101010
0011001010100010110010101000010001010000