Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/09 20:50:08 UTC

Re: Call for assistance (Was: [Issue 3061] username + password + non-interactive caches creds wrong)

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Jack Repenning <ja...@tigris.org> wrote:

> In any case, I'm in an odd spot, here: I don't maintain any of these
> wrappers, and indeed they don't fit my personal work style, so I don't even
> use them.  My project, SCPlugin, uses the SVN APIs.  I discovered the
> problem indirectly: because of the odd fail-through sequence in the
> command-line tool, these GUI wrappers _were_ storing creds in cleartext in
> svn.simple/, even though the command-line binary they use stores them in the
> keychain; when I cam along later, I couldn't find the creds (because I was
> not looking in svn.simple/, only in the keychain).  I fixed that, so I will
> find svn.simple/ creds if necessary, so I have no more problem, really.  I
> am now trying to represent these several GUI wrapper developer communities
> by proxy.  I've tried to contact them, without response, but since many of
> my users are also users of theirs, I want these things to work right.

FWIW, Subclipse (and other JavaHL consumers) also create these creds.
When the keychain support was added in 1.4, it was not added to
JavaHL.  Until the recent Gnome/KDE stuff was added, I did not know it
needed to be.

So your credentials could also be coming from those tools.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Call for assistance (Was: [Issue 3061] username + password + non-interactive caches creds wrong)

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Jack Repenning <ja...@tigris.org> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Mark Phippard wrote:
>
>> FWIW, Subclipse (and other JavaHL consumers) also create these creds.
>> When the keychain support was added in 1.4, it was not added to
>> JavaHL.  Until the recent Gnome/KDE stuff was added, I did not know it
>> needed to be.
>
> You mean, "in cleartext, in the file system," I take it.  So that's a good
> argument for the fix I already made, to use such creds if they exist.
>
> Any idea how these behave under the broken Leopard
> SecKeychainSetUserInteractionAllowed()?
>
> Do they even call that?  If not, they needn't care that it's broken.

If there is even an equivalent of --non-interactive in JavaHL, we do
not use it.  I have never noticed any problem going between the
command line and Subclipse.  Although perhaps I was prompted to cache
credentials twice and just did not pay attention.  Basically, I never
noticed it until looking at the code to add the new stuff in and
seeing that the command line had code to use the Keychain and JavaHL
did not.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Call for assistance (Was: [Issue 3061] username + password + non-interactive caches creds wrong)

Posted by Jack Repenning <ja...@tigris.org>.
On Jun 9, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Mark Phippard wrote:

> FWIW, Subclipse (and other JavaHL consumers) also create these creds.
> When the keychain support was added in 1.4, it was not added to
> JavaHL.  Until the recent Gnome/KDE stuff was added, I did not know it
> needed to be.

You mean, "in cleartext, in the file system," I take it.  So that's a
good argument for the fix I already made, to use such creds if they
exist.

Any idea how these behave under the broken Leopard
SecKeychainSetUserInteractionAllowed()?

Do they even call that?  If not, they needn't care that it's broken.

-==-
Jack Repenning
jackrepenning@tigris.org
Project Owner