Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by rubdabadub <ru...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/22 12:14:56 UTC

bzr branches for Apache Lucene/Nutch/Solr/Hadoop at Launchpad

Hi:

First of all apology to those friends who follow all the list.

Often times I work offline and I do not have any commit rights to any
of the projects. All the modifications I make for various clients and
trying to keep up to date with latest trunk somehow makes it difficult
for me to just stick with "subversion". I have heard many things about
distributed
revision control system and I am sure there are tricks/fixes for the
subversion problem i mentioned above, but I also wanted to learn
something new :-) So after some trial with many DRCS I have decided to
go for Bazaar! Its really cool DRCS.. you got try it.

http://bazaar-vcs.org/.

Now due to the fact that SVN is RCS and bzr is DRCS one need to
convert SVN repos to bzr repos. and cool enough.. there is a free vcs
mirroring service at Launchpad

https://launchpad.net/

So now the following projects are available via bzr branch. You can
access them here.

Nutch - https://launchpad.net/nutch
Solr - https://launchpad.net/solr
Lucene - https://launchpad.net/lucene
Hadoop - https://launchpad.net/hadoop

It only mirrors "trunk". Thats what I need to follow thats why and I
don't see any reason to mirror releases.

Regards

Re: bzr branches for Apache Lucene/Nutch/Solr/Hadoop at Launchpad

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
rubdabadub wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Grant Ingersoll <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nice idea and I can see the benefit of it to you and I don't mean to
>> be a wet blanket on it, I just wonder about the legality of it.

So long as it meets the Apache license conditions regarding the
distribution it's not forbidden. It could be confusing or superfluous,
but it couldn't be illegal.

>> People may find it and think it is the official Apache Lucene, since
>> it is branded that way.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.
>> I think you have the right to store and use the code, even create a
>> whole other search product based solely on Lucene (I think), I just
>> don't know about this kind of thing.  In some sense it is like
>> mirroring, but that fact that you can commit w/ out going through the
>
> NO NO!! I don't make any commits to apache trunk. Nor any one else
> for that matter. The repo at launchpad is just a pure mirror and will
> always be a mirror.

Actually, I often find myself in a similar situation to "rubdabadub".
I'm working on several commercial projects that use and modify
Lucene/Nutch, and often such modifications are proprietary (about
equally often they are not, and are submitted as patches).

Over time, the issue of tracking the vendor source tree and merging from
that tree (per svnbook) to several different private svn repos becomes a
tricky and time-consuming business ... I'd welcome any improvements here.

It seems I need to find some time to get more familiar with bzr ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: bzr branches for Apache Lucene/Nutch/Solr/Hadoop at Launchpad

Posted by rubdabadub <ru...@gmail.com>.
Good to hear :-)

> I am curious, how many custom changes are you making to the code that
> this is even an issue?  Perhaps submitting patches and working to get
> them committed would be a more efficient strategy.

Well there are 3 problems I see.

1. There are very good patches on all of the lucene Jiira but for one way
or another these issues never get applied to trunk. For me its not a question
of why its more of a question how can i use it and learn from it. So having
my own local branch to do "whatever" is really great. I build I apply patch
play around .. tear it down without thinking about anything else. Yes you
could do this with various copies of the source but often times these patches
works with rev. XXXX etc.. Its much easier to play when you are in control
of the local.trunk.

2. I also have to customer modifications and maintain i.e support and some
of the fixes only works with a certain rev of trunk and often times i
make mistake
and do svn up .. it happens and that does create some extra key strokes :-)

3. You are correct about the committing strategy but most of my changes are
customer specifics and customer have specific rules so it never gets back to
you guys. Well customer rules I can't decide on the modifications I make.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 22, 2007, at 8:16 AM, rubdabadub wrote:

> On 3/22/07, Grant Ingersoll <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nice idea and I can see the benefit of it to you and I don't mean to
>> be a wet blanket on it, I just wonder about the legality of it.
>> People may find it and think it is the official Apache Lucene, since
>> it is branded that way.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.
>> I think you have the right to store and use the code, even create a
>> whole other search product based solely on Lucene (I think), I just
>> don't know about this kind of thing.  In some sense it is like
>> mirroring, but that fact that you can commit w/ out going through the
>
> NO NO!! I don't make any commits to apache trunk. Nor any one else
> for that matter. The repo at launchpad is just a pure mirror and will
> always be a mirror.
>
> Just to clarify what I meant by commit. Basically you "pull" the
> Lucene
> branch from launchpad to your local machine and that becomes a
> complete copy of the trunk and you make another local branch from
> that branch. Example
>
> bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/lucene/trunk
> local.copy
> bzr branch local.copy local.customerx
>
> then you do all your work on local.customerx and make commits
> there. Cos you
> want to keep the local.copy exactly identical to lanuchpad version
> which in turns
> a mirror like any other mirror that apache have thats all. If I were
> to commit things
> to the launchpad version I loose the whole point of mirroring and
> getting changes
> from trunk.

Gotcha.  I guess I just rely on IntelliJ built in versioning to
provide similar capabilities, plus, maybe checking out multiple
copies of the source.  Also, I try to avoid making changes in open
source libraries unless absolutely necessary.

>> Apache process makes me think that others coming upon the code will
>> be mislead about what's in it.  The site _definitely_ makes it look
>> like Launchpad is the home for Lucene with the intro and the bug
>> tracking, etc, even though we all know this site will rank further
>> down in the SERPs than the main site.
>
> I am not a lawyer or branding expert. But if you want me to edit
> the description
> text with something like "A mirrored copy of Apache Lucene.. original
> site at..."
> No problem Please provide me the exact text so I can edit it to
> avoid confusion
> etc.. Last thing I want to do is create confusion.
>
> Moreover if such need like mine exist maybe Apache Infrastructure
> should consider
> a DRCS system then a RCS system .. SVN doesn't provide the flexibility
> that I need.
> In apache there is CVS and SVN co-exist as well as there are mirrors
> of such all
> over the world so.. why not have a bzr branch? if Launchpad want to
> host it great
> if other mirror wants to host it great.
>
> I hope it clarifies misunderstanding.. Please do provide an exact text
> so we don't
> get into some lawyer trouble :-) I don't want to take a stab on the
> text its better you
> provide me exact instructions.

I'll wait for some of the others that are closer to the Foundation to
contribute (maybe one of the PMC members).  Like I said, I don't know
if it is an issue at all.  I just don't want people to be confused
about it.  I think you could propose a DRCS to infrastructure and
make a case for it.  Personally, I'm fine with SVN, but then again I
used to think I was fine with CVS and I don't think I would want to

I am curious, how many custom changes are you making to the code that
this is even an issue?  Perhaps submitting patches and working to get
them committed would be a more efficient strategy.

-Grant

Re: bzr branches for Apache Lucene/Nutch/Solr/Hadoop at Launchpad

Posted by rubdabadub <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 3/22/07, Grant Ingersoll <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice idea and I can see the benefit of it to you and I don't mean to
> be a wet blanket on it, I just wonder about the legality of it.
> People may find it and think it is the official Apache Lucene, since
> it is branded that way.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.
> I think you have the right to store and use the code, even create a
> whole other search product based solely on Lucene (I think), I just
> don't know about this kind of thing.  In some sense it is like
> mirroring, but that fact that you can commit w/ out going through the

NO NO!! I don't make any commits to apache trunk. Nor any one else
for that matter. The repo at launchpad is just a pure mirror and will
always be a mirror.

Just to clarify what I meant by commit. Basically you "pull" the Lucene
branch from launchpad to your local machine and that becomes a
complete copy of the trunk and you make another local branch from
that branch. Example

bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/lucene/trunk local.copy
bzr branch local.copy local.customerx

then you do all your work on local.customerx and make commits there. Cos you
want to keep the local.copy exactly identical to lanuchpad version
which in turns
a mirror like any other mirror that apache have thats all. If I were
to commit things
to the launchpad version I loose the whole point of mirroring and
getting changes
from trunk.

> Apache process makes me think that others coming upon the code will
> be mislead about what's in it.  The site _definitely_ makes it look
> like Launchpad is the home for Lucene with the intro and the bug
> tracking, etc, even though we all know this site will rank further
> down in the SERPs than the main site.

I am not a lawyer or branding expert. But if you want me to edit the description
text with something like "A mirrored copy of Apache Lucene.. original
site at..."
No problem Please provide me the exact text so I can edit it to avoid confusion
etc.. Last thing I want to do is create confusion.

Moreover if such need like mine exist maybe Apache Infrastructure
should consider
a DRCS system then a RCS system .. SVN doesn't provide the flexibility
that I need.
In apache there is CVS and SVN co-exist as well as there are mirrors
of such all
over the world so.. why not have a bzr branch? if Launchpad want to
host it great
if other mirror wants to host it great.

I hope it clarifies misunderstanding.. Please do provide an exact text
so we don't
get into some lawyer trouble :-) I don't want to take a stab on the
text its better you
provide me exact instructions.

Regards.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gr...@gmail.com>.
Nice idea and I can see the benefit of it to you and I don't mean to
be a wet blanket on it, I just wonder about the legality of it.
People may find it and think it is the official Apache Lucene, since
it is branded that way.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.
I think you have the right to store and use the code, even create a
whole other search product based solely on Lucene (I think), I just
don't know about this kind of thing.  In some sense it is like
mirroring, but that fact that you can commit w/ out going through the
Apache process makes me think that others coming upon the code will
be mislead about what's in it.  The site _definitely_ makes it look
like Launchpad is the home for Lucene with the intro and the bug
tracking, etc, even though we all know this site will rank further
down in the SERPs than the main site.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding?

Posted by rubdabadub <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.