Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Alex vB <ma...@avomberg.de> on 2010/09/03 18:05:04 UTC

Detailed file handling on hard disk

Hello everybody,

I read the paper  http://www2008.org/papers/pdf/p387-zhangA.pdf Performance
of Compresses Inverted List Caching in Search Engines  and now I am unsure
how Lucene implements its structure on the hard disk. I am using Windos as
OS and therefore I implemented FSDirectory based on
Java.io.RandomAccessFile.

How is the skipping in the .tis file realized? Do I use metadata at the
beginning of each block too like in the mentioned paper above on page 388
(in the paper the metadata stores informations about how many inverted lists
are in the block and where they start)?

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/file/n1413062/Block_assignment.jpg

Because I read in another article that I can seek to the correct position on
the hard drive with the byte address using java.io.RandomAccessFile (which I
can read from .tii-file in "IndexDelta"?).

How do I find the correct position/location for my PostingList/Document?
Do I need information/metadata about the blocks from the underlying file
system?
Or where can I find further informations about this stuff? :)

Best regards
Alex