Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by bi...@beeb.net on 2004/01/14 17:04:18 UTC

[users@httpd] help needed : unable to start httpd

Hi,
sorry to bother folks, but I'm new to building and installing httpd (Apache
2.0.48).

I've been running an Apache server for quite a while, and was beginning to
feel that I understood at least part of it, but....

I'm running under Mandrake Linux, original distribution was 8.2, but I've
upgraded my kernel to 2.4.18 and that's been fine for a while. I've recently
started using php quite a bit, but discovered that some things that I needed
were not ocmpiled into the version distributed with mdk 8.2. So I downloaded
the current version of PHP, and set about trying to build it. This seems to
require apxs, which for some reason isn't in my distributed packages, or if
it is I can't find it. So,,,, I downloaded the current version of Apache
(2.0.48) and set about building that. Mandrake seem to have set everything
up quite differently to the way it goes when you do it yourself, so I decided
it would be safer if I de-installed apache+php. Got it all installed and
working, but without the Vhosts that I need. When I put them in and
restart, I get:

# apachectl start
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs

Nothing gets written into the error_log, so there's no help there. I've done
everything I can think of, including reboot the machine, but still get the
same message. Took out the vhosts stuff, but still the same error.

Anyone any helpful suggestions. Otherwise it'll have to be a case of
going back to the old Mandrake distrib, which I'd rather not do!

Thanks,
Bill

[users@httpd] newbie permissions questions

Posted by "M.D. DeWar" <ma...@s-wit.net>.
Hello,
I have a question on the permisssions and what happens when set wrong. I
have read the docs but not sure I understand the consequences pr the process
of how it works.

In httpd.conf the user is nobody and group is noboby.

I noticed that when I installed some php stuff and made some html files that
they were not nobody:nobody but
mark.mark . When I d/l a php script and un-tarred it and copied it over its
user/group were 15000:15000 .

I noticed several like that.
How come they run when not set to nobody:nobody ?
And same with cgi files ? I had a few at root:wheel.
I changed them over to nobody:nobody

images also are serverd when not nobody.
Whats the real purpose then ?

thanks
mark