Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/12/01 11:14:04 UTC

[Fwd: gPhoenix To Change Name (fwd)]

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [Fwd: gPhoenix To Change Name (fwd)]

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

>Also, anyone using "Avalon" or any names from Arthurian legend
>as part of a company name or product name has to live with
>the fact that it is very common, and nearly impossible to
>protect from trademark infringement.

You mean common words like "Windows"?   :-)
Unless Apache pays to have names registered, then any name will be in
danger.
We have been using Avalon and Cocoon for a long time and so we should in
theory
fall under prior art... But until we are threatened with legal action
and asked to
change it, any new name does not seem like it would be any safer.

Leif

RE: [Fwd: gPhoenix To Change Name (fwd)]

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.
> From: Leo Sutic [mailto:leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com]
>
> I think all this was discussed at Cocoon-dev a while ago
> when Sony launched a video recorder (or something) called
> Cocoon.
>
> Can't for the life of me remember what the conclusion was,
> though.

Conclusion:

Video recorder is "Sony Cocoon" (by the sales flyers and
everything), and what we have here is "Apache Cocoon".
There is no conflict.

Re: [Fwd: gPhoenix To Change Name (fwd)]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> 'prior art' will allow us to use Avalon if MS try protect their new
> namespace.
>
> 'xdocs' is under attack by MS too.

Yeah, that too, good you mentioned it now too.
So it's Avalon, xdocs, Phoenix... *ugh*

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Fwd: gPhoenix To Change Name (fwd)]

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola,

'prior art' will allow us to use Avalon if MS try protect their new
namespace.

'xdocs' is under attack by MS too.

- Paul

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.