Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2004/09/02 22:49:36 UTC

httpd 2.1 release candidate issues

hi all...

I'm having a difficult time building mp2 against the release httpd 2.1
release candidate due to some chicken-and-egg type problems.

it looks like httpd 2.1 is going to be requiring an existing apr 1.0
installation, meaning that apr will no longer be distributed with httpd.
so, after downloading the release candidate I pointed the httpd build
process toward the APR in a current httpd installation.

the result was that the autogenerated server/exports.c slurped in all the
include files, including all the mod_perl ones.  and the mod_perl ones are
throwing errors, starting like this:

In file included from exports.c:102:
/apache/2.1/prefork/perl-5.8.5/include/modperl_apr_perlio.h:22:22:
iperlsys.h: No such file or directory
In file included from exports.c:102:
/apache/2.1/prefork/perl-5.8.5/include/modperl_apr_perlio.h:47: warning:
parameter names (without types) in function declaration
/apache/2.1/prefork/perl-5.8.5/include/modperl_apr_perlio.h:66: error:
syntax error before '*' token
[lots more snipped]

not really being good at all of this include stuff, I'm not sure what the
problem is or how to solve it.  do the mod_perl include files belong in
includes?  I guess they do, or we wouldn't be able to build XS files.  is
APR supposed to suck in every header file in includes/ into exports.c?  I
dunno.

I added CPPFLAGS="-I/path/to/iperlsys.h" to resolve the missing include and
still got errors:

In file included from
/perl/perl-5.8.5/lib/5.8.5/i686-linux-thread-multi/CORE/iperlsys.h:51,
                 from
/apache/2.1/prefork/perl-5.8.5/include/modperl_apr_perlio.h:22,
                 from exports.c:102:
/perl/perl-5.8.5/lib/5.8.5/i686-linux-thread-multi/CORE/perlio.h:214: error:
syntax error before "extern"
[lots more snipped]

I guess the solution is to build APR by itself, outside of httpd, and use
that from now on, but it seems pretty strange to not be able to use an
existing APR and have it work.  or maybe I'm just not thinking clearly today.

anyway, APR guru opinions welcome.

--Geoff

Re: httpd 2.1 release candidate issues

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> I guess the solution is to build APR by itself, outside of httpd, and use
> that from now on

which does indeed work, so I guess this is all a non-issue.

good for the archives, anyway :)

other issues in another thread...

--Geoff