Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Doug Baggett <do...@gmail.com> on 2023/06/12 15:40:53 UTC

Guacamole serer no longer available in Debian 12

FYI

So, I took a look at the Debian software repositories, and it looks like
the maintainer for 1.3 which was in Bullseye (Debian 11) didn't update it
for bookworm (version 12). IDK why.

Can anybody confirm this (in case I searched wrong)?

If this is the case, be aware when/if you upgrade to Bookworrm.

Re: Guacamole serer no longer available in Debian 12

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On 6/12/23 10:22, Doug Baggett wrote:
> This isn't official? I thought since it was in the docs and didn't say
> it was 3rd party that it was.
>
> https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/0.9.0/gug/installing-guacamole.html#idp98448 <https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/0.9.0/gug/installing-guacamole.html#idp98448>

In ages past, there was a PPA that I maintained as a part of project
releases. We do not currently maintain a PPA and have not for roughly a
decade. The link above is a snapshot of the 0.9.0 documentation (2014).

- Mike

Re: Guacamole serer no longer available in Debian 12

Posted by Doug Baggett <do...@gmail.com>.
This isn't official? I thought since it was in the docs and didn't say it
was 3rd party that it was.

https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/0.9.0/gug/installing-guacamole.html#idp98448

It looks like flatpak is more desktop oriented, so snap may be the way to
go with that. That being said, containerizing stuff seems to be how Linux
is going to fix compatibility issues in many respects. I personally use
distrobox (with podman) where I can't get flatpaks or snaps to work on the
desktop for instance.

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Doug Baggett <do...@gmail.com>.
Oh, I understand. And that's OK. You'all provide the PPA and thats good. I
just thought I'd mention it in case anybody is looking for the guacamole
package in the Debian repositories directly.

I actually did email the maintainer when 1.5 came out asking for it in
Debian testing, but got no response. I think the package has been abandoned
in the Debian repositories.

On another note, obviously running it in a Docker instance is a thing and
LOTS of people do that. What about a snap or flatpak? Has there been any
consideration of that?

Thanks for your work on Guacamole! It's been VERY useful to me!

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.