Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mishra, Pabitrakumar (GE Capital, consultant)" <pa...@ge.com> on 2010/06/16 16:01:56 UTC

FW: Tomcat Upgrade to 5.5.27

Hi Team,

I was trying to send the mail for last 2-3 days but somehow seems I had
not subscribed properly. Hope this time it will; reach you.

Thanks,
Pabitra
________________________________

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:38 AM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Of course, all of the above is in the case you/someone installed Apache and
> Tomcat /not/ using the standard Solaris package management system.

#facepalm

Yes, thanks, Andre, you're absolutely right. I am so averse to using
"package managers" for stuff like this I totally ignored that possibility.

twitter: @hassan

Re: FW: Tomcat Upgrade to 5.5.27

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Mishra, Pabitrakumar (GE Capital,
> consultant) <pa...@ge.com> wrote:
>
>> So, we are basically looking for any such steps/methods where we can
>> upgrade to 5.5.27 without a new installation as we have the webapps
>> already deployed in TOMCAT_HOME/webapps folder.
>
> There isn't one. Just install the new version in its own directory.
>
> And to eliminate this question/concern once and for all, put your
> webapps directory(s) somewhere outside of any specific software
> version's installation. Then you only ever have to configure the
> appBase(s) of a new install and change $CATALINA_HOME.
>
>> Apart from this we also have requirement to upgrade apache to 2.2.15
>> from 2.0.58/2.0.54, not sure where from I can get the exact steps.
>
> Same deal. Build, install, configure.
>
> That way you can always run the old version while getting the new
> one's configuration fine-tuned (since you can't simply copy over the
> old config files).

Of course, all of the above is in the case you/someone installed Apache and Tomcat /not/
using the standard Solaris package management system.
Maybe better check with a sysadmin first ?

Re: FW: Tomcat Upgrade to 5.5.27

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 6/16/2010 10:28 AM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> That way you can always run the old version while getting the new
> one's configuration fine-tuned (since you can't simply copy over the
> old config files).

Yeah, that's the piece that bit me in the behind when I did a version
upgrade.  Once I realized that, it went smoothly.

Re: FW: Tomcat Upgrade to 5.5.27

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
consultant) <pa...@ge.com> wrote:

> So, we are basically looking for any such steps/methods where we can
> upgrade to 5.5.27 without a new installation as we have the webapps
> already deployed in TOMCAT_HOME/webapps folder.

There isn't one. Just install the new version in its own directory.

And to eliminate this question/concern once and for all, put your
webapps directory(s) somewhere outside of any specific software
version's installation. Then you only ever have to configure the
appBase(s) of a new install and change $CATALINA_HOME.

> Apart from this we also have requirement to upgrade apache to 2.2.15
> from 2.0.58/2.0.54, not sure where from I can get the exact steps.

Same deal. Build, install, configure.

That way you can always run the old version while getting the new
one's configuration fine-tuned (since you can't simply copy over the
old config files).

FWIW,
twitter: @hassan