Posted to user@roller.apache.org by sharanf <sh...@apache.org> on 2022/03/26 15:24:58 UTC

Re-directing blog entries

Hi

I have a question.
Is it possible to have a blog setup on blogs.apache.org but have the
entries redirected to the blog entries that have been already published
on the project website?

For example I see
https://blogs.apache.org/cloudstack/entry/meet-the-community-slavka-peleva
is using the blogs.apache.org url for Apache Cloudstack but not the
standard Roller blog template.

I'd be interested to know if there is redirection functionality in
Roller or if we would need to setup a new template.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Re-directing blog entries

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 29.03.22 11:42, Sharan Foga wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> Thanks for the response. I now realise that I didn't explain it very well :-) so will try again.
>
> A standard Roller blog entry looks like this
> https://blogs.apache.org/maven/entry/apache-maven-3-8-5
>
> It's plain text etc and the Roller interface allows you to simply write it, preview it and post it.
>
> My question is how can Cloudstack create a Roller blog that looks like this
> https://blogs.apache.org/cloudstack/entry/meet-the-community-slavka-peleva
>
> It's not plain text at all.

That would be still Apache Roller, the project using that blog decided
to use the "gaurav" theme. And roller displays all blogs which run on
the instance on the frontpage too - which happens to have a old theme
("basic") looking like plain text :)

But i know now what you want to do! (i hope)

> And the reason I asking the question is that Cassandra doesn't currently have Roller blog but they have been publishing regular blog updates on their website. Since they are so active it could be good for their blog entries to be incorporated into the overall Apache ones.
>
> If a Roller blog was created for Cassandra could we create entries that point to the existing blog entries on the website. For example
> https://cassandra.apache.org/_/blog/Inside-Cassandra-an-interview-with-Project-Contributor-Lorina-Poland.html

You could certainly do that but I don't think there is currently a way
to automate it. You would have to publish a blog entry in your roller
blog which links to the real blog entry (basically like a tweet or a
summary). If you embed a link in those blog entries, users could
directly click from the front page to your real blog entry but clicking
the headline would open the roller blog first unfortunately - I don't
think this can be changed. Maybe Dave can reply if he is reading this.

Roller can also run as aggregator (roller planet), where it simply
aggregates feeds from arbitrary sources. Apache used to have a planet
(https://planet.apache.org/) but looks like its inactive
(https://www.apache.org/dev/committer-blogs).

https://blogs.apache.org/ however is not a planet, it is just the
frontpage for multi-user roller, aggregating all user blogs - so it
can't pick up feeds from other sources.

> Perhaps it has nothing to do with re-direction and I hope my question is clearer this time around :-)

question was fine, I misunderstood, the re-direction worked like a
miss-direction for me :P

best regards,

michael

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.