Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com> on 1996/06/29 00:51:05 UTC

unsigned port number (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 12:20:57 -0700
From: dave madden <dh...@paradigm.webvision.com>
To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
Subject: unsigned port number

I'd like to propose a change to the server_rec structure: make the
port value unsigned short.  The reason for this is: it *is* an
unsigned short (according to sockaddr_in), and it makes a hack I
perpetrated cleaner.

(For those who are interested, my hack enables apache to be used in
install-yourself mode, much like the netscape commerce server.  That
is, I have a shell script that starts up apache on a random, system-
assigned port, and then directs you to connect to that port with your
browser.  The rest of the configuration and installation can be done
through the browser.  We're currently fleshing out the
post-installation server administration, again using netscape's server
admin as a model.)

Regards,
d.