Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Prince <th...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/02 15:21:18 UTC

Re: how to suppor 30000 concurrent users

hi Angus,

from ur reply what i understand is, first I have to develop the application
(with maximum tuning possible from scripting side) and the deploy it on a
server and load test. then add the needed number of servers. have  i got it
right?
what is an avarage no of maximum concurrent users (active sessions) for
tomcat (just to get a general idea about the possible investment)

does it depends on the scripting technology also? how is  Microsoft
technology is such case (heavy load) compared to tomcat?
thanks and regards
Prince

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.

Supporting a website that supports 30K concurrent connections will mean several hundred servers and a really big database server.

At those requirements, your best bet is looking at the architecture first and figuring out what the functional requirements are for all 30K users. The key is to profile those users and figure how you can separate the heavy processes from the read-only.

once you have that information, you can make educated guesses to start some research. chances are a good percentage of the traffic is read-only. Massive write applications with that kind of concurrency is rare. I've only seen it in financial apps and those normally have really big hardware.

peter