Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> on 2016/11/17 20:24:43 UTC

Proton C "proactor" API for multi-threaded proton applications

The proactor API and an example implementation using libuv are now on
master. There is an overview at ~/proton/proton-c/docs/api/index.md and
API doc in the header files. index.md and proactor.h attached for your
convenience.

Re: Proton C "proactor" API for multi-threaded proton applications

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2016-11-17 at 21:47 +0000, Adel Boutros wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>

> I have probably asked this question but suffering from amnesia I have
> to ask again if that is the case:
>

> For clients using the C++ bindings of proton-c and the
> messaging_handler, what should they change to profit from the
> proactor or is it an implicit benefit?

Implicit. We will use the proactor to provide a better IO layer
underneath but the C++ API will not change. The proactor design is
influenced by what we did with the C++ binding, so it should be an easy
fit.�

The cross-thread wakeup feature you reported as slow in the existing
C++ binding is part implemented directly on the underlying IO in the
proactor, whereas the existing C++ version is cobbled on top of the old
reactor - hence I'm hoping it will solve your performance issue.

�