Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com> on 2006/09/03 20:57:25 UTC

Using Archiva as a Mirror

How to use Archiva as Maven2 Mirror

Hi,

I have build and installed the Archiva Maven Repository Manager (MRM) on
a Tomcat 5.5.17 instance on the same server I have running an Apache
server which serves as our internal Maven Repository.

>From what I read in the book "Better Builds with Maven" I can use the
MRM as a proxy and that is exactly what I am trying to get to run right
now.

I would like to start a mirror on that server.  I have created a new
folder (maven2-central-proxy) in the same space that is used by Apache
to server our internal Maven repositories. I have added the directory to
the Managed Repositories in the Administration dialog of MRM. (BTW: Copy
and Paste from my configuration can be found at the bottom of this
email.)

Under "Proxied Repositories" I have added the Ibiblio URL
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/.

Unfortunately I can not figure out how to connect the dots now.  How can
I use this set-up as a proxy?  I am missing some configuration steps and
hope someone on this list can point me to some documentation or explain
his or her configuration similar to what I want to achieve.

Oh, another thing:  the maven-metadata.xml file is updated but nothing
is indexed in the assigned index folder though I have manually copied a
few folders from our current internal repository.

Is there any documentation I am missing that could help me better in
understanding the configuration settings?

Thanks in advance for any hint or help.

Andreas

Below is a copy and paste from the two configuration dialogs of MRM.

Configuration
Index Directory
E:\maven\repositories\maven2-central-proxy\maven-archiva-index
Indexing Schedule 	0 0 * * * ? 	Run Now

Edit Configuration
Managed Repositories
Edit Repository | Delete Repository
MarketTools Maven2 Central Repository Proxy
Identifier 	maven2-central-proxy
Directory 	E:\maven\repositories\maven2-central-proxy
Type 	Maven 2.x Repository
Snapshots Included
Indexed

Add Repository

Proxied Repositories
Edit Repository | Delete Repository
Maven Central Repository
Identifier 	ibiblio
URL 	http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/
Type 	Maven 2.x Repository
Snapshots
Releases 	Updated daily
Proxied through 	MarketTools Maven2 Central Repository Proxy
(maven2-central-proxy)
Use HTTP Proxy
Cache Failures
Fail Whole Group

Add Repository

RE: Using Archiva as a Mirror

Posted by Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com>.
Thank you very much for your help.

Archive works great now for me!  This is exactly what I was looking
for!!

Andreas

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

RE: Using Archiva as a Mirror

Posted by Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com>.
Hi Brett,

I am excited about this application which I think is exactly what I need
right now.  From what I read so far and understand, it looks to me as
Archiva could be an easy to use internal proxy to the official Maven
central repository.

Unfortunately I still don't fully understand how this can work and
cannot get any results with my current configuration.  I have configured
a profile with repositories pointing to my Archiva installation and
activated it:

<profile>
      <id>maven-repositories-proxy</id>
      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id>central</id>
          <name>Maven Repository Switchboard Proxy</name>
          <layout>default</layout>
          <url>http://xxx.markettools.com:8888/proxy</url>
          <snapshots>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
          </snapshots>
        </repository>
      </repositories>
      <pluginRepositories>
        <pluginRepository>
          <id>central</id>
          <name>Maven Plugin Repository</name>
          <layout>default</layout>
          <url>http://xxx.markettools.com:8888/proxy</url>
        </pluginRepository>
      </pluginRepositories>
    </profile>

All I get if I run a maven target is the following:

[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
(http://xxx.markettools.com:8888/proxy)
Downloading:
http://xxx/repositories/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-plugins/1/
maven-plugins-1.pom

The second one is our internal current repository where I have copied
manually files from my local repository.

I would expect that Archiva goes outside and downloads missing
dependencies.  But that is here not the case.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Andreas,