Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Cole Skoviak <co...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/23 20:26:57 UTC

HConnection/HConnectionManager utilization

Hello, I'm currently working on making the move to HBase 0.96.1.1-cdh5.0.1
and running into an issue as I am moving off the deprecated HTablePool API.

With the old HTablePool API I was able to pass in an HTableInterfaceFactory
which gave the ability to wrap the returned HTables for instrumentation
purposes. With the new HConnectionManager API however, I am no longer able
to pass in an HTableInterfaceFactory. Digging through the HBase code I saw a
couple potential routes to continue to utilize instrumentation, all which
have been blocked by various design decisions. I think the most important
option to note is there seems to be an intention to allow the consumer to
pass their own HConnection implementation [1], however the public
HConnection interface has a method with a return type with package private
access (as noted in the comment above its declaration).

I am wondering if this is just functionality that just hasn't been exposed
yet, and/or if there is some alternate workflow that I should be taking in
order to maintain this functionality.

[1]
https://github.com/cloudera/hbase/blob/cdh5.0.1-release/hbase-client/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/HConnectionManager.java#L373
[2]