Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by David Salgado <da...@digitalronin.com> on 2002/07/25 12:57:28 UTC

Distributed testing with multiple servers

Hi there

I'm trying to use a single jmeter client to control multiple jmeter
servers to test my app. But, I'm only able to start a single server at a
time.

I've got 3 machines; 'client', 'server1' and 'server2', and a simple test
plan to test a webserver. Using 'client', I can remotely start jmeter on
'server1', and sure enough, the webserver access logs show calls coming
from server1. I can do the same with server2.

But, after I choose 'Remote start/server1' (or server2), all the remote
start options are greyed out, so I can't start server2 until I do a
'remote stop' on server1.

I'm using the 24/07/02 nightly build of jmeter, with the client and
servers running on NT4.

If anyone has any ideas what I'm doing wrong, I'd really appreciate the
help.

Thanks in advance

David

Re: Distributed testing with multiple servers

Posted by david garcia <mr...@yahoo.com>.
 Yep. That sounds like exactly what I was seeing. Apparently you can only run one remote server at a time. This is unfortunate since when most people choose to go the distributed route they are looking to dramtically increase the amount of traffic by using multiple servers running in parallel. On the plus side, I imagine that it is something that could be easily fixed given the fact that java allows pretty sophisticated threading. Ideally you would be able to:
1. Pool multiple remote servers into groups that could be all be run at once.
2. Assign different test cases to a group.
3. Use different users.xml type files for each test case or even each group.

One of the workarounds I have been playing with is writing a test harness in either python or java that will give me exactly this capability using JMeter in nongui mode. Nonetheless the optimum would be to use the gui and or property files to do all this stuff.

  David Salgado <da...@digitalronin.com> wrote: Hi there