Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by 晋光峰 <ji...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/28 12:12:05 UTC

How to control the map and reduce step sequentially

Dear All,

When i using Hadoop, I noticed that the reducer step is started immediately
when the mappers are still running. According to my project requirement, the
reducer step should not start until all the mappers finish their execution.
Anybody knows how to use some Hadoop API to achieve this? When all the
mappers finish their process, then the reducer is started.

Thanks
--
Guangfeng Jin

Re: How to control the map and reduce step sequentially

Posted by rae l <cr...@gmail.com>.
2008/7/29 Xuebing Yan <ya...@alibaba-inc.com>:

> 阿里巴巴搜索技术研发中心已经在和Hadoop PMC协商Hadoop中文社区的事情了,
> Hadoop 0.17的中文文档有可能在近期发布。
好。

http://www.hadoop.org.cn/
这个似乎是一个人建立的BLOG,查询结果是:

www.hadoop.org.cn >> 218.240.14.21

    * 本站主数据:北京市 中关村信息工程股份有限公司
    * 查询结果2:北京市 中关村信息工程股份有限公司
    * 查询结果3:北京市

--
程任全

Re: How to control the map and reduce step sequentially

Posted by rae l <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Yu <d4...@gmail.com>.
我现在在国外读书 我的毕业设计课题正好是用hadoop和hbase的 有一个中文社区是件挺不错的事
希望相关的文档资料都能及时跟进

Posted by Xuebing Yan <ya...@alibaba-inc.com>.

Posted by rae l <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 晋光峰 <ji...@gmail.com>.
I got it. Thanks!

Posted by Shengkai Zhu <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deyaa Adranale <de...@iais.fraunhofer.de>.
As far as I know, the reducer has three tasks: fetching results of
mappers, sorting the results, and calling the reduce function.
when some mappers finish their execution, the reducer starts by fetching
their results to save time.
neither sorting nor calling the reduce function could start before all
the mappers have finished and all their results are available locally.

I don't know whether you can prevent copying mappers results before all
mappers finish. Anyway, it would be meaningless.

hope that helped

Deyaa