Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Esteban Gonzalez <eg...@outside.com.ar> on 2002/07/19 19:19:11 UTC

Wich parsers to use

Hi!
I´m using XML --> XSL --> FO --> PDF transformations...

and i´m willing to know wich is the best parser to use for performance.
Unfortunately I DO have to create a DOM tree of the xml and modify it with
some data from a database... i´m using xerces to do so... but i´m not sure
that´s the best way to go...

any ideas or insights?

Best Regards,

----------------------------------
Esteban González

Departamento de Sistemas
ASSIST-CARD International

Re: Wich parsers to use

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Esteban Gonzalez wrote:

> I´m using XML --> XSL --> FO --> PDF transformations...
>
> and i´m willing to know wich is the best parser to use for performance.
If you really talking about parser, it's actually doesn't matter at all,
because in this processing schema parsing itself is I believe about 1%
performance consumer.

> Unfortunately I DO have to create a DOM tree of the xml and modify it with
> some data from a database... i´m using xerces to do so... but i´m not sure
> that´s the best way to go...
>
> any ideas or insights?
If you care about performance, try keep SAX at transformation and
optimize you formatting (see the list achiv? about it).
But first you have to profile you application and spot bottlenecks and
only then try to optimize concrete modules.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn International, Israel

Re: Wich parsers to use

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Esteban Gonzalez wrote:
> Unfortunately I DO have to create a DOM tree of the xml and modify it with
> some data from a database...

Chances are you don't have to. You can fire SAX events
from your database directly into the XSLT processor, and
use document() for aggregation with you static XML. There
are other possibilities for aggregation if you are using
Cocoon or a standalone xinclude processor.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Image resolution in FOP

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Philip S. Constantinou wrote:
> I'm struggling a bit with embedding images into FOP.
>
> The FOP to PDF converted always seems to output the image at 72 DPI
> regardless of the stored format. So far I've only tried GIF which doesn't
> support resolution and JPG which does but in both cases the image comes at
> 72 DPI.
> Any other options- attributes to the external-graphic tag? other file
> formats?

You can use height and/or width, in a length unit (cm, mm, pt).
If you use only one of these properties, the aspect ratio of
the image will be preserved.

J.Pietschmann

Image resolution in FOP