Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mandar Mangalvedhekar <mm...@us-south.net> on 2003/12/09 20:49:47 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.16 Client timeout handling issue

Hi,
  I downloaded tomcat 5.0.16 and testing a use case where the client
sends a request to the servlet/jsp and then closes
the connection.

 In tomcat 4.1.24, I get an exception on the server when I try to write
the response after the client closes the connection. I cannot see this
exception in tomcat 5.0.16.

Test scenario

  Using web browser (IE), go to a page that points to a servlet
  (Put some sleep in the servlet method)
  Close the browser before the servlet sends back response

  Expected result
	IOException on the server when the servlet tries to write the
response at a later time.

 Is there any other new way to detect client socket closures in tomcat
5.0.16 ?

Related Code in the doGet() method of servlet

------------------

						logger.info("Start sleep
for half minute");
						  try{

Thread.sleep(30000);
						  }
						  catch
(InterruptedException ie){

logger.error("Someone interrupted my sleep",ie);
						  }
						  logger.info("End sleep
for half minute");

						  try{

response.getOutputStream().write(65);

logger.info("Before flushing the buffer");

response.flushBuffer();

						  }
						  catch (IOException
ioe){

logger.error("IOException occured",ioe);
							  throw ioe;
						  }