Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jeremy Volkman <jv...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/26 21:03:49 UTC

XQuery support

Hi, I'm new here.

I've been reading a bit about JCR and Jackrabbit, and came across
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/arch/operate/query.html which talks a
bit about the query engine.  I noticed that Jackrabbit actually uses
the XQuery grammar under the hood to execute XPath queries.  Is it
possible to run full XQuery queries against the repository with
Jackrabbit?  If not, would it be difficult to add an additional query
language to support full XQuery?

Thanks,
Jeremy Volkman

Re: XQuery support

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 7/26/06, Jeremy Volkman <jv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been reading a bit about JCR and Jackrabbit, and came across
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/arch/operate/query.html which talks a
> bit about the query engine.  I noticed that Jackrabbit actually uses
> the XQuery grammar under the hood to execute XPath queries.  Is it
> possible to run full XQuery queries against the repository with
> Jackrabbit?  If not, would it be difficult to add an additional query
> language to support full XQuery?

Jackrabbit supports a subset of XPath 2.0 which is a subset of XQuery
1.0. Even though Jackrabbit uses the XQuery grammar, it only
implements the set of XPath features required by JSR 170 (and some
extras, like predicates on location steps).

It is certainly possible to extend the current query handler to
support more XPath/XQuery features, but this might require rather
extensive refactoring of the current Lucene query index used by
Jackrabbit. If you're interested, please take the issue up on the
developer mailing list.

BR,

Jukka Zitting